Find path equation and velocity/acceleration vectors for r(t)=(cos2t)i+(3sin2t)j

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jdawg
Messages
366
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



r(t) is the position of a particle in the xy plane at time t. Find an equation in x and y whose graph is the path of the particle. Then find the particle's velocity and acceleration vectors at the given value of t.

r(t)=(cos2t)i+(3sin2t)j, t=0

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



x=cos2t y=3sin2t
x2=cos22t y2/9=sin22t

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with this! Can someone please give me a push in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement



r(t) is the position of a particle in the xy plane at time t. Find an equation in x and y whose graph is the path of the particle. Then find the particle's velocity and acceleration vectors at the given value of t.

r(t)=(cos2t)i+(3sin2t)j, t=0

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



x=cos2t y=3sin2t
x2=cos22t y2/9=sin22t

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with this! Can someone please give me a push in the right direction?

Looks good so far. What do you get if you add those last two equations? Do you recognize it?