Find Radial Velocity of Galaxies

In summary, the conversation discusses searching for information on galaxies and their radial velocities. The person is looking for a list of galaxies with their radial velocities, but is having trouble finding one. They are given a few database options to try and are advised to limit their search parameters. The conversation also briefly mentions different types of velocities and how they are calculated.
Quarlep
I searched galaxies and their radial velocities in online but I found nothing can you give me a list about them.
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
I searched galaxies and their radial velocities in online but I found nothing can you give me a list about them.
Thanks
What do you mean "radial velocities of galaxies". Radial from what center?

@phinds radial velocities in astronomy are the components of velocities of observables measured in the radial direction from the vantage point (i.e. Earth), usually reduced to the heliocentric rest frame.

Quarlep said:
Thanks
Try one of the databases:
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fsam
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/ui/?q=byparams
http://www.sdss.org/dr12/

There are too many objects for any single list. Constrain the search terms to some chosen parameters. E.g., in SIMBAD adjust 'output options' so that it displays in HTML form with velocities in the list mode. Then choose e.g. a range of redshifts (type something like 'redshift > 5') in the parameter selection box. Be mindful of the two kinds of velocities displayed: 'cz velocity' and 'radial velocity'.

Likes |Glitch|
Thanks for site.It will help me. I was talking about velocity which calculated v=(MG/R)^1/2

1. What is radial velocity?

Radial velocity is the motion of an object along the line of sight, either towards or away from an observer.

2. How is the radial velocity of galaxies measured?

The radial velocity of galaxies is measured using a technique called spectroscopy, which analyzes the changes in wavelength of light emitted by the galaxy. This allows us to determine the velocity at which the galaxy is moving towards or away from us.

3. Why is measuring the radial velocity of galaxies important?

Measuring the radial velocity of galaxies is important because it allows us to understand the structure and dynamics of the universe. It also helps us to determine the distance and location of galaxies, which can provide insights into the formation and evolution of the universe.

4. What are some common methods used to find the radial velocity of galaxies?

Some common methods used to find the radial velocity of galaxies include the Doppler effect, redshift or blueshift measurements, and the use of specialized instruments such as spectrographs and interferometers.

5. How does the radial velocity of galaxies relate to the expansion of the universe?

The radial velocity of galaxies is directly related to the expansion of the universe. Galaxies that are moving away from us will have a positive radial velocity, while galaxies moving towards us will have a negative radial velocity. This helps us to understand the overall expansion of the universe and the role of dark energy in this process.