Find the Best Glue for Aluminium Foil - Buy in Bulk!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Notinuse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Notinuse
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
I need a recommendations on a glue to stick aluminium foil.

Due to the size I need a product that can be brought in larger quantities rather than in small tubes; like a tub of wood glue or wallpaper paste.

I'm asking because aluminium is reactive and I need something that will stick, but not react.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Reactive with what? You know, they wrap food with aluminum foil.
 
Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUPjHHml1E

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.
 
I was once stirring molten Al with a Stainless steel rod...The stainless "melted" into the Al. Al is very reactive, of course molten Al is more so then solid due to the thermal energy present.
 
AlephZero said:
Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUPjHHml1E

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.

Isn't this as much of a demonstration of the re activity of Hg as well as Al? I once was playing with some Hg, great fun!, and watch regular tin/lead solder simply vanish into the Hg.
 
Since the foil is pretty air tight 'drying adhesives' probably aren't going to work.