Finding annual summaries of physics discoveries by year and field

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jonjacson
Messages
450
Reaction score
38
¿Where can we find a summary of the discoveries of every year?

Hi

I was thinking in which were the most important discoveries last year, for example, and I have to recognize that I have no idea.

I suppose that if you read newspapers, magazines... you will learn a lot, but in a year there are a lot of news, and into physics there are a lot of subdisciplines.

I would like to know if exists some kind of qualitative summary of the discoveries of every year, categorised in paragraphs , I mean you can make a search like this:

Year: 2006

Category: Nuclear physics

Or:

Year: 2008

Category: quantum chromodynamicsThanks for the answers
 
Physics news on Phys.org


jonjacson said:
Hi

I was thinking in which were the most important discoveries last year, for example, and I have to recognize that I have no idea.

I suppose that if you read newspapers, magazines... you will learn a lot, but in a year there are a lot of news, and into physics there are a lot of subdisciplines.

I would like to know if exists some kind of qualitative summary of the discoveries of every year, categorised in paragraphs , I mean you can make a search like this:

Year: 2006

Category: Nuclear physics

Or:

Year: 2008

Category: quantum chromodynamics


Thanks for the answers

The weekly magazine Science News used to have an annual summary issue that was pretty comprehensive. I'll see if I can find a link...
 


Here's the magazine's website, but I didn't see any obvious links to the annual summary issues:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

Almost for sure you local university library will have hard copies, though. Check it out.
 


berkeman said:
Here's the magazine's website, but I didn't see any obvious links to the annual summary issues:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

Almost for sure you local university library will have hard copies, though. Check it out.

Interesting, I will search in my university tomorrow for some printed material.

Evo said:
This one lists all science discoveries but it only goes back a few years.

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/


Great link, very similar to what I was searching for , here an example:

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=114372&org=NSF

But I have a doubt, ¿Is it a general resource? ¿Or is it related only with NSF supported advances?.

I mean ¿can I find something discovered at cern? (for example cern, or any other source)


humanino said:
I would investigate with spires


Nice too, most cited articles of the year, is not a review itself but can help you to find most important articles, appreciated.