What does the notation d/dx(h(x)/x)|x=2 mean?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joyci116
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Joyci116
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If h(2)=4 and h'(2)=-3, find
[tex]\left.\frac{d}{dx}\frac{h(x)}{x}\right|_{x=2}[/tex]


Homework Equations


n^n-1 (power rule)

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to get this started. It seems like I am having trouble with derivatives. I can do simple derivatives with the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule, but I do not know what the line on the right means, nor do I understand what the d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means find the derivative of f(x)/x when (or, at the point where) x equals 2.
 
Joyci116 said:

Homework Statement


If h(2)=4 and h'(2)=-3, find [itex]\displaystyle \left[\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{h(x)}{x}\right) \right|_{x=2}[/itex]

Homework Equations


n^n-1 (power rule)

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to get this started. It seems like I am having trouble with derivatives. I can do simple derivatives with the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule, but I do not know what the line on the right means, nor do I understand what the d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means.
d/dx times the quantity of h(x)/x means: the derivative of h(x)/x

the line on the right means: evaluate the derivative at x = 2
 
No. Are you using the quotient rule?

Helps to show your work.
 
Um, h(x)=4, because x=2 so h(2)=4; x=2, so I get 1/2. But you don't understand how you would the the quotient rule using that value. There is the product rule if you rearrange the formula to 1(2)^-1
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
 
(Don't put 2 in for x just yet.)

What is the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{h(x)}{x}[/itex] , using the quotient rule?

If that doesn't make sense, then what is the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{h(x)}{g(x)}\,?[/itex]
 
Joyci116 said:
Um, h(x)=4,
No, you can't say this. You don't know what h(x) is, only what its value is at a particular x value.
Joyci116 said:
because x=2 so h(2)=4; x=2, so I get 1/2. But you don't understand how you would the the quotient rule using that value. There is the product rule if you rearrange the formula to 1(2)^-1
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
Forget the numbers for now.[/color]

1. Find the derivative of h(x)/x. I would use the quotient rule.
2. Evaluate the derivative you found in #1 at x = 2.