Finding f(2) and f'(2) given tangent line y=4x-5 at x=2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
physics604
Messages
92
Reaction score
2
1. If an equation of the tangent line to the curve y=f(x) at the
point a=2 where is y=4x-5, find f(2) and f'(2).



Homework Equations



m=[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



To be honest, I really don't know where to start. Here's what I have so far:

m=[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/itex]

I know slope is 4 according to the equation above. Also, I know there is a point (2,3), plugging a into the equation.

4=[itex]\frac{f(x)-3)}{x-2}[/itex]

Now what can I do? This doesn't help me find f(2) or f'(2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:
To be honest, I really don't know where to start. Here's what I have so far:

m=[itex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/itex]

I know slope is 4 according to the equation above.

What is the relationship between the slope of the tangent line and the derivative?
 
OK, good. So you established that the slope of the tangent line at the point ##x=2## is ##4##. What does that tell you about ##f'(2)##?