Finding intersection points of circle x² + y² = 4 and ellipse x²/4 + y²/9 = 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Cacophony
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find intersection points of the following.(Conics are centered to origin)

Circle = x^2+y^2=4, Ellipse = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9) = 1


The Attempt at a Solution



So far I have this. (BTW I know the solutions are (-2,0) and (2,0) but I'm still unsure how to get there step by step).

(x^2/4)+(y^2/4) = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9)= 1

What's the next step?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have (x^2/4)+(y^2/4) = (x^2/4)+(y^2/9) what do you get if you subtract (x^2/4) from each side?
 
Cacophony said:
Oh ok, so the answer is 5y^2=1?

Why would you get that? Reread my last post.
 
I'm not sure exactly how to solve this, but I would look at the vertices of the ellipse and the radius of the circle
 
hey cacophony , just plot the two graphs and you will see the intersection
 
kushan said:
hey cacophony , just plot the two graphs and you will see the intersection
But that will probably not help the OP in identifying the intersection points, which is what the problem asks him/her to do.