Finding κ in (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) = 3^κ

  • Thread starter Thread starter styxrihocc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Indices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
styxrihocc
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Given that (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) may be expressed as 3^κ,
find the value of κ


Now I know that (√3)^ 7 is the same as 3^3.5 so I have 3.5, 2.5 and 1.5 but i have no idea how to calculate 42 (√3). Please help :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
styxrihocc said:
Given that (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) may be expressed as 3^κ,
find the value of κ


Now I know that (√3)^ 7 is the same as 3^3.5 so I have 3.5, 2.5 and 1.5 but i have no idea how to calculate 42 (√3). Please help :(

Factor out a square root of 3.
[itex](\sqrt{3})^7 + (\sqrt{3})^5 + (\sqrt{3})^3 + 42(\sqrt{3}) = \sqrt{3}(\text{...} + \text{...} + \text{...} + 42)[/itex]
The expression inside the parentheses will simplify nicely.
 
I'm sorry i don't get it, how is that supposed to solve the problem? would be great if you could explain in detail
 
styxrihocc said:
I'm sorry i don't get it, how is that supposed to solve the problem? would be great if you could explain in detail

Without giving it away, I am factoring out the greatest common factor. If you have a polynomial like this:
x4 - 3x3 - 11x2 + 33x

The GCF would be x, so factoring it out would give you this:
x(x3 - 3x2 - 11x + 33)

In the same way, the GCF of the expression you have is the sqrt root of 3, so factor it out. What is the resulting expression inside the parentheses?
 
√3(√3^6+√3^4+√3^2+42)
so how do i find κ?
 
styxrihocc said:
√3(√3^6+√3^4+√3^2+42)
so how do i find κ?
Now simplify what is in the parentheses.
What is
[itex](\sqrt{3})^6[/itex]?
[itex](\sqrt{3})^4[/itex]?
[itex](\sqrt{3})^2[/itex]?
 
So you have
[itex]81\sqrt{3}[/itex]
Write 81 as a power of 3.
81 = 3?
And you know that
[itex]\sqrt{3} = 3^{1/2}[/itex].
Put it all together...?
 
damn now i feel really stupid having asked the question because that makes perfect sense. thanks a lot man