Finding Mass of Isotope After Radioactive Decay by Half-Life

In summary, the problem involves a radioactive sample with 2.25g of an isotope and a half-life of 3.8 days. After 11.0 days, the remaining amount of the isotope in grams can be calculated by using the formula 2.25g x (1/2)^11/3.8. The resulting answer is 0.303g, which is the correct answer with three significant figures.
rakeru

Homework Statement

A radioactive sample contains 2.25g of an isotope with a half-life of 3.8 days.
How much of the isotope in grams will remain after 11.0 days?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! I've just started college this semester. I'm taking Introductory Chemistry. Right now we are doing nuclear chemistry. This problem is confusing, though, because I'm not sure if I can just divide the half-life like a normal number.. My professor doesn't teach. Literally.

I tried doing this problem this way:

It starts off with 2.25g.
After 3.8 days (one half-life) it's 1.125g.
After 7.6 days (two half lives) it's 0.5625g.
But in another half-life, 11.4 days would have passed. More than 11. In 11.4 days it would be 0.28125g.

Is this correct? How would I calculate this? My book doesn't tell me.. Is there a specific way? It only tells me that it's "beyond the scope of this book". Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi rakeru! welcome to pf! :smile:
rakeru said:
It starts off with 2.25g.
After 3.8 days (one half-life) it's 1.125g.
After 7.6 days (two half lives) it's 0.5625g.
But in another half-life, 11.4 days would have passed. More than 11. In 11.4 days it would be 0.28125g.

in other words, after 3.8n days it's 2.25 times 1/2n

so after n days it's 2.25 times 1/2n/3.8

so you need to find 211/3.8 :wink:

Hi!

So I was looking up similar questions previously and it turns out that one person said the same thing as you.

I tried it first with others just in case and it worked. :D

I did: 2.25g × 1/211/3.8

And I got 0.302537977g.

The question had also told me to give the answer in three significant figures so: 0.303g, right?

Uhm, I hope it works! I'm going to submit my answer now.. :) Thank you so much!

hi rakeru! :smile:
rakeru said:
I did: 2.25g × 1/211/3.8

And I got 0.302537977g.

The question had also told me to give the answer in three significant figures so: 0.303g, right?

yup, looks fine! :smile:

Yup! I got it right :) Thank you.

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process in which an unstable atom spontaneously emits radiation in the form of particles or energy in order to become more stable. This process can occur in both natural and artificial sources.

What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of a radioactive substance to decay. This is a fixed characteristic of a particular isotope and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

How is half-life used to find the mass of an isotope after radioactive decay?

The amount of time it takes for half of a sample of a radioactive isotope to decay can be used to calculate the rate of decay. By knowing the rate of decay and the initial mass of the isotope, we can determine the mass of the isotope after a certain number of half-lives have passed.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of an isotope after radioactive decay?

The accuracy of calculating the mass of an isotope after radioactive decay can be affected by external factors such as contamination of the sample, changes in temperature or pressure, and errors in measurements. It can also be affected by the inherent randomness of radioactive decay.

Can the half-life of an isotope be changed?

No, the half-life of an isotope is a fixed characteristic and cannot be changed. This is because the rate of decay is determined by the nucleus of the atom, which is constant and cannot be altered by external factors.