Potato Osmolarity...Again
Hi, after doing a diffusion/osmosis lab, I am being asked to determine the osmolarity of a the potato cores. We recorded the cores' initial mass, placed them in sucrose solutions of varying molarities, and then weighed them one day later. Here are my results:
Sucrose Solution Initial Mass (g) Final Mass (g)
1M 3.071 2.202
.8M 2.953 2.162
.6M 2.894 2.271
.4M 2.862 2.511
.2M 3.112 3.201
Distilled Water 3.021 3.783
I determined the molarity of each solution myself and calculated the percent differences, but I don't know how to "determine the osmolarity of the potato cores". My teacher said that it is up to us to figure out how to do this. I've looked up osmolarity on the internet, but all I see are equations about specific number of particles, etc. I have no idea how to do this with a potato. Please help me out! Thanks!