Finding point force on a cantilever beam from strain gage measurements

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
gandhidog
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a cantilever with one fixed end and a point force on the other end. The cantilever beam itself is a perfect rectangular prism. We used a strain gage to measure the strain values, so how would I calculate the point force? I know the value for Young's Modulus of the cantilever used. Any help would be much appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There would be a particular equation that would apply to the specific geometry, beam properties, and applied force.
 
Since you know the geometry, where the strain was measured and the strain value, you could use the constiutive equations for relating stress to strain. From there you could calculate the force. There is a very basic equation for the stress in a cantilever beam due to a point load.