Finding poles and their order for f(z) = z³/(2z+1)³

  • Thread starter Thread starter FanofAFan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Complex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
FanofAFan
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


find the pole and it's order for f(z) = [tex]\frac{z^3}{(2z+1)^3}[/tex]


Homework Equations


[tex]\frac{1}{(2z+1)^3}[/tex] as [tex]\frac{1}{8(z+1/2)^3}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



poles at z = -1/2, [tex]\frac{e^(i*\pi)}{2}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{e^(-i*\pi)}{2}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
e^(iπ) and e^(-iπ) are both -1, so they're not poles. I think you're overthinking the problem. For any function [tex]f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{(z-a)^n}[/tex], "a" is a pole with order n. If the denominator was (z-a)^m*(z-b)^n, then both a and b would be poles, with orders m and n.
 
Ok, I know -1/2 had to be a pole but I meant e^(ipi)/2 which is also -1/2
and also when i try to find the residue at that point I end up getting constant/zero...

ie res at -1/2 = (-1/2)^3/24(-1/2+1/2)^2 is that wrong?