Finding principal root of (-8 - 8√3i)^(1/4)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
DEMJ
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find all the roots in rectangular coordinates, exhibit them as vertices of certain squares, and point out which is the principal root.


The Attempt at a Solution



The problem is [tex](-8 -8\sqrt{3}i)^{\frac{1}{4}}[/tex] and I found the four roots easily to be

[tex]\pm(\sqrt{3} - i), \pm(1 + \sqrt{3}i)[/tex]. So when it says to exhibit them as vertices of certain squares does this mean I should just graph the four points? and it should be a square.

Also as for which point is the principal root I have no clue. I am guessing it has something to do with principal argument but I am having trouble finding much information on principal roots.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For any non-zero complex number, its fourth roots are arranged on the vertices of a square. You are being asked to verify this for the given number.

If I'm not mistaken, the principal root is the root whose standardized argument is least.

--Elucidus