Finding side R given L = 6.10 m, theta = 36.9°, phi = 53.1°

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PhizKid
Messages
477
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


h83RV.png

Find side 'R'. L = 6.10 meters, theta = 36.9 degrees, and phi = 53.1 degrees.

Homework Equations


Pythagorean Theorem
Similar triangles
Law of Sines
Law of Cosines

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't see any way I can attempt this, I'm very rusty with my trig. We have a known side and a right angle, but I don't see how I can make any other angles (since we only have one side I'm assuming I need to get an angle somewhere
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:

Homework Statement


h83RV.png

Find side 'R'. L = 6.10 meters, theta = 36.9 degrees, and phi = 53.1 degrees.

Homework Equations


Pythagorean Theorem
Similar triangles
Law of Sines
Law of Cosines

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't see any way I can attempt this, I'm very rusty with my trig. We have a known side and a right angle, but I don't see how I can make any other angles (since we only have one side I'm assuming I need to get an angle somewhere

Draw a vertical line through the right side of the length L (the point on the triangle). The length L will be perpendicular to this line, yes? And now take notice that [itex]\phi[/itex] would be the angle between the vertical and the side of the triangle because of the parallel lines rule (the wall is parallel to the vertical line we constructed).