Finding tangent lines that touch both parabolas y = x² and y = -x²+6x-5

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Aspekt
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I was having some trouble with a problem. The problem reads:
Sketch the graphs of y = x^2 and y = -x^2+6x-5, and sketch the two lines that are tangent to both graphs. Find equations of these lines.

I've graphed the two parabolas and drew the tangent lines. I've found the derivatives of each equation as well. I relabeled the points where the tangent line is tangent on each of the parabolas using Xsub1 and Xsub2. Am I going about doing this the correct way? Can someone give me a little help, thanks.

-Paul
 
Attachments
  • 73.JPG
    73.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are saying you are doing is correct. Since haven't actuall shown what you did, I can't say whether you are doing it correctly.
 
anyone can help me with that problem ? i dunt know how to do it !