Finding the 9th derivative of (cos(6x^4)-1)/x^7 at x=0 using Maclaurin series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
demersal
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




(1 pt) Compute the 9th derivative of:
f(x) = [tex]\frac{cos(6x^4)-1}{x^7}[/tex]
at x=0.



Homework Equations



Hint: Use the MacLaurin series for f(x).

The Attempt at a Solution



I have tried many weird ways and cannot come up with the correct numerical answer. I've gotten 0 each time and it still comes up as wrong. Please help point me in the correct direction, even if it is only a verbal explanation!

Thanks so much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The only term in the expansion that would contribute to a 9th derivative would be the term containing x^9. If you look up the Maclaurin series of cos you'll it can be written as a sum of even powers of it's argument. The fourth power of 6x^4 contains an x^16. 16-7=9. Is that enough of a hint.
 
Yes, thank you very much. I think I can work it out now!