Finding the median from a histogram of hours studied and slept

  • Thread starter Thread starter lionely
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Median
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
lionely
Messages
574
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



vown55.png


Attempt :


I think I am interpreting the graph wrongly, the median for the Number of hours studied

should be 3 since only There are people who studied from 1~5 hrs,

and for Number of hours slept it should be (7+6)/2 = 6.5 since people only slept for 4~9 hrs .

I am not sure because the answer is wrong. Please guide me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Median would be the middle number of a set of numbers that are in order of ascending magnitude.
 
So, in case of hours to study, you have 1 hour 4 times, 2 hours 4 times, 3 hours 3 times,4 hours twice, 5 hours twice. So the set of hours ordered in ascending magnitude is 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5. What is the number at the middle?

ehild
 
Well the middle numbers is 2, and for the hours slept it would be 7 oh so the difference is 5.

Thank you . I was being extremely stupid about reading the graph.