Finding the minimum area of a triangle

In summary, to find a triangle with the minimum area given points A and B and a third point on the line L, the third point should be closest to AB, which can be found by calculating the distance between L and AB. Another approach is to calculate the vectors BA and BC and apply them in the area triangle formula, then find a t that gives the minimum area. However, there is no need to worry about the possibility of t being canceled out.
Null_Pointer
So i have the points A=(1,0,1) and B=(1,-1,0) and the third corner lies on the line
L:(x,y,z) = (t,t,t) and i need to find a triangle with the minimum area possible.

My initial approach was to calculate the vector BA and BC and then apply both vectors in the area triangle formula 1/2||BAxBC|| = area and then find a t that gives me the minimum area, but then I am wondering if this is correct since there may be a possibility that t can be canceled out and I'm left with a constant that comes from the derivate of the cross product.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a simpler way, since A,B are fixed points, the area of the triangle is minimum if the third point is closest to AB. This is equivalent to find the distance between L and AB.

Null_Pointer said:
So i have the points A=(1,0,1) and B=(1,-1,0) and the third corner lies on the line
L:(x,y,z) = (t,t,t) and i need to find a triangle with the minimum area possible.

My initial approach was to calculate the vector BA and BC and then apply both vectors in the area triangle formula 1/2||BAxBC|| = area and then find a t that gives me the minimum area, but then I am wondering if this is correct since there may be a possibility that t can be canceled out and I'm left with a constant that comes from the derivate of the cross product.
Why would you worry about that possiblity? It doesn't cancel!

1. What is the formula for finding the minimum area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the minimum area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, base represents the length of the triangle's base, and height represents the perpendicular distance between the base and the opposite vertex.

2. How do you determine the base and height of a triangle?

The base and height of a triangle can be determined by measuring the length of the triangle's base and the perpendicular distance between the base and the opposite vertex using a ruler or other measuring tool.

3. Can you find the minimum area of any triangle using the same formula?

Yes, the formula for finding the minimum area of a triangle can be used for any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

4. How can I use the minimum area formula to solve real-world problems?

The minimum area formula can be used to solve real-world problems involving triangles, such as finding the minimum amount of material needed to construct a triangular roof or the minimum area of land required for a triangular garden.

5. Is there a visual representation of the minimum area formula?

Yes, the minimum area formula can be represented visually using a diagram or geometric figure of a triangle with its base and height labeled. This can help in understanding the relationship between the different components of the formula.