Maybe working water-dogs, like poodles would be a good choice. I think it's nice for kids to have exposure to pets, and for them to be assigned responsibilities for those pets. When I was about 8 or so, we got a beautiful mixed breed dog who had been badly abused. She was distrustful of adult men for a few years, but she and I bonded and I could teach her any kind of trick in no time. She wasn't a real food-hound, but she loved to please, so after a year or so, if I hauled out a little treat (like those nasty Hartz mountain bits), she'd speak, sit, shake, beg, lie down, play dead, roll over, etc in quick succession - the whole drill. Owning a pet as an abstraction (that's my dog, but the staff feeds and bathes it) is VERY different from owning a pet, bonding, and taking responsibility for its care. If the Obamas are not going to task their children with training, feeding, and otherwise caring for a dog, they should not bother. If you had a dog as a kid, and remember some bad times, I'll bet you'll remember that in those bad times, your dog was sensitive to your distress and sorrow and gave you more silent support than any humans did. There is a lot of give an take with a dog that is locked in on you.Cats... er not so much. "Where's the Fancy Feast, Sucker, not that kibble crap!"