What folktales for kids do you know from around the world?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 6K views
Psinter
Messages
278
Reaction score
785
I don't know how is it in other countries, but at mine we have stories that are widely known and repeatedly told by parents and adults to children. The folktales I know are probably known all around the world and I was wondering if you guys here at PF could probably share with me some folktales for kids that you may know. Be it European, Japanese, American, Russian or from whatever country. Here are the ones I know:

The Little Red Riding Hood
The Three Little Pigs

... Nothing more. Do you know of any other folktales for kids?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As Jack Handy said, "I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and CrazyNinja
Thank you, both of you. :smile: I am going to have a look onto them. I've been looking for some to read and review those very basic but very truthful teachings that they offer.

EDIT: Keep them coming, I can always spare some time to read. Thanks!
 
Well, then there are the Astrerix-Obelix series and good old Tintin. Not folktales, but yes, an integral part of my child life.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
CrazyNinja said:
Astrerix-Obelix
I'll have to take a look at that. :wink:
Sophia said:
Thank you! I like this one from the links you gave me: The Man who never lied

And this one too:
[PLAIN]http://www.worldoftales.com/Asian_folktales/Chinese_Folktale_16.html said:
“That[/PLAIN] is well,” answered the bird. “Moderation protects one from harm.”
That saying struck me as so much truth: Moderation protects one from harm. Even if some of you may find it stupid, I feel very wise now. :biggrin: :smile: I will continue reading.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and Sophia
Yeah, I'll vote for the Brothers Grimm, too, but their versions of the stories have been rewritten over the decades so good luck finding the originals.
 
Last edited:
Psinter said:
I cannot appear to be able to access the site. But thanks anyway. At one point or another it should come back up! :smile:
Weird. I clicked on the link and the main page came right up.
 
Svein said:
Weird. I clicked on the link and the main page came right up.
It works now! Thanks! :partytime:
 
Psinter said:
I don't know how is it in other countries, but at mine we have stories that are widely known and repeatedly told by parents and adults to children. The folktales I know are probably known all around the world and I was wondering if you guys here at PF could probably share with me some folktales for kids that you may know. Be it European, Japanese, American, Russian or from whatever country. Here are the ones I know:

The Little Red Riding Hood
The Three Little Pigs

... Nothing more. Do you know of any other folktales for kids?
what about Hansel and Grerttle (english)
 
and jack and the beanstalk
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
James Holland said:
what about Hansel and Grerttle (english)
I think that one is on The Brothers Grimm. I've never read it, but it sounds attractive.
James Holland said:
and jack and the beanstalk
Ohoho, this one. I like it very much. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Psinter said:
I think that one is on The Brothers Grimm. I've never read it, but it sounds attractive.

Ohoho, this one. I like it very much. :smile:
all fairy tales in Grimms have multiple versions
 
allso what about the one with the troll under the bridge and the billy goat guffs?
 
CrazyNinja said:
Well, then there are the Astrerix-Obelix series and good old Tintin. Not folktales, but yes, an integral part of my child life.
i second this
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CrazyNinja and ProfuselyQuarky
CrazyNinja said:
Well, then there are the Astrerix-Obelix series and good old Tintin. Not folktales, but yes, an integral part of my child life.
Great snakes! Tintin is the best :biggrin: But for fairy tales and folktales, I think of King Midas and Golden Touch (here). And then you have all those watered-down English versions of Greek myths, like Jason, the Argonauts, and the Golden Fleece (http://www.mythweb.com/heroes/jason/jason01.html).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
The links of @ProfuselyQuarky seem very good indeed. Took me back to my childhood days to those turn-a-page story books.

If one can keep his wits about and not consider religious sentiment, the epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata are fascinating reads too. But as I said, the descriptions used can be taken literally (which I don't) or taken as hyperbole (which I do). The life stories in there are numerous and certainly worth a read. That is again, if people don't go gaga saying, "Oh its a Hindu book full of Gods. Pfff...!".

If you do not want to go that way, then there are the Panchatantra stories and The Jataka tales. If anyone is interested, I would love to tell them the story behind the Panchatantra (literally meaning "the five principles"). It is given in good detail here. The Jataka tales are ancient Buddhist texts similar to The Panchatantra, supposedly told by The Buddha himself to his followers to enable the common man to understand the principles of Buddhism with ease.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky
CrazyNinja said:
If anyone is interested, I would love to tell them the story behind the Panchatantra (literally meaning "the five principles").
Shoot, I'm interested. It never hurts to learn something from another person's culture.
 
Svein said:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Great snakes! Tintin is the best :biggrin: But for fairy tales and folktales, I think of King Midas and Golden Touch (here). And then you have all those watered-down English versions of Greek myths, like Jason, the Argonauts, and the Golden Fleece (http://www.mythweb.com/heroes/jason/jason01.html).
CrazyNinja said:
The links of @ProfuselyQuarky seem very good indeed. Took me back to my childhood days to those turn-a-page story books.

If one can keep his wits about and not consider religious sentiment, the epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata are fascinating reads too. But as I said, the descriptions used can be taken literally (which I don't) or taken as hyperbole (which I do). The life stories in there are numerous and certainly worth a read. That is again, if people don't go gaga saying, "Oh its a Hindu book full of Gods. Pfff...!".

If you do not want to go that way, then there are the Panchatantra stories and The Jataka tales. If anyone is interested, I would love to tell them the story behind the Panchatantra (literally meaning "the five principles"). It is given in good detail here. The Jataka tales are ancient Buddhist texts similar to The Panchatantra, supposedly told by The Buddha himself to his followers to enable the common man to understand the principles of Buddhism with ease.
I just finished reading them all. The Gruff Goats was funny and I sort of expected the result from King Midas and Golden Touch. I like the one from CrazyNinja. Is a story about stories. Kind of cool. But since this is a story about stories, does that mean that the stories mentioned in this story does not exist or do they exist?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
Psinter said:
I just finished reading them all. I like the one from Crazy ninja. Is a story about stories. Kind of cool. But since this is a story about stories, does that mean that the stories mentioned in this story does not exist or do they exist?
have u found the one a bout the dutch boy and the cheese
MORE CHEESE GROMMIT
 
James Holland said:
have u found the one a bout the dutch boy and the cheese
MORE CHEESE GROMMIT
Nope. Was it linked or mentioned here in the thread? :oldconfused: I sort of lost the thread of the thread... Still trying to catch up.
 
Ah, and these aren't exactly folktales, but the short stories from Saki are incredibly entertaining. They're full of irony, if that's the sort of thing you like. Here's a link for a bunch of them : here
My favorite is The Open Window (find it on page 2). For young children? Probably not, since the humor and subject matter is not usually directed for the smaller population, but still . . .