For which powers of a 10-cycle is the result also a 10-cycle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Redhead711
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
My question is regarding abstract algebra.

Suppost that B is a 10-cycle.
For which integers i between 2 and 10 is
B^(i) also a 10-cycle?

I know that the answer is 3, 7, and 9 I just don't know
how you arrive at these numbers. If someone could explain the
process clearly to me I would greatly appreciate that.
Thank you sooo much. :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The [tex]i[/tex] are values that are coprime (have no common factors other than 1) with 10.

Here's a general proof:

Let's say we have some element [tex]g[/tex] with order [tex]n[/tex]. Then [tex]g^i[/tex] has order [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex] where [tex]<n,i>[/tex] is the greatest common factor of [tex]n[/tex] and [tex]i[/tex].

Proof:
[tex]({g^{i}})^{\frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{i \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}[/tex]
but
[tex]i = k \times <n,i>[/tex]
for some [tex]k[/tex] so
[tex]g^{i \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{k \times <n,i> \times \frac{n}{<n,i>}}=g^{k \times n}=g^{n\times k}=(g^{n})^{k}=e^k=e[/tex]
so the order ok [tex]g{i}[/tex] is at most [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex]

Now, let's say we have some [tex]j[/tex] so that
[tex]e=({g^{i}})^j=g^{ij}[/tex]
then, since the order of [tex]g[/tex] is [tex]n[/tex]
so [tex]n | ij[/tex] ([tex]n[/tex] divides [tex]ij[/tex])
so [tex]\frac{n}{<n,j>} | j \Rightarrow j \geq \frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex]

So the order of [tex]g^i[/tex] is [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>}[/tex].

In this particular case, you have [tex]\frac{n}{<n,i>} = n[/tex] so [tex]<n,i>=1[/tex].
 
Thank you so much I understand much better now. I am very grateful for all your help.
 
I think that g has order 10 does not guarantee that g is a 10-cycle. If g is a product of two disjoint cycles of order 2 and 5, it can still have order 10. Is that right?