Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    I think the website speaks for itself: Example

Read the FAQ for any inqueries on its 'political correctness'

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2
    Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language. Cracks me up. Here's a great example:

You've got to feel sorry for these poor people, whose native language is something other than English, so sad. Look how they struggle with their second or third language, this poor fellow thought "inquiry" was spelled like "query"! :rofl: You can't blame him I suppose, I mean it is a terribly hard language to learn, for non-native speakers.

"Inqueries"! Hilarious! :biggrin:

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  4. May 17, 2006 #3
  5. May 17, 2006 #4
    +1 for satirical commentary

:rofl: :rofl:

Now sure, its not nice to make fun of someone just because their english isn't perfect (my chinese certainly isn't), but some of the pictures are funny, just as any failed attempt I make at speaking chinese is bound to sound ridiculous to anyone who actually speaks it. In the words of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.......

This one certainly opens itself up to political and social commentary.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  6. May 17, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This site is awesome; I've frequented it for around seven years or so now. I especially like the Colonel Sanders figurine that they label "Uncle Sam."

7. May 18, 2006 #6
    Interesting. I'd been told this before(that english was used like that in Japan) but didn't think much of it.

8. May 18, 2006 #7

J77

:biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

9. May 18, 2006 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's probably not as common, but I know Americans will do the same thing with Japanese and Chinese characters. T-shirts, in particular, will frequently have nonsense characters put together to make it look like the wearer is cultured or elite.

10. May 18, 2006 #9

J77

One of my mates had a Paul Frank t-shirt with "I'm a stupid American" on the front in Japanese :biggrin:

He taught at a big college in the US :biggrin:

11. May 18, 2006 #10
    Huh? It's idiomatic and correct. Cf. "I made a mistake in the mathematics".

12. May 18, 2006 #11
    Honorablle menshons:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?