Foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
I think the website speaks for itself: http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=gentlemen.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-04-26" [Broken]

Read the FAQ for any inqueries on its 'political correctness'

Last edited by a moderator:

Rach3

Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language. Cracks me up. Here's a great example:

Bladibla said:
inqueries
You've got to feel sorry for these poor people, whose native language is something other than English, so sad. Look how they struggle with their second or third language, this poor fellow thought "inquiry" was spelled like "query"! :rofl: You can't blame him I suppose, I mean it is a terribly hard language to learn, for non-native speakers.

"Inqueries"! Hilarious! :biggrin:

Look at this one:
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=blood-condensed.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-04-20 [Broken]

Rach3 said:
Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language. Cracks me up. Here's a great example:

You've got to feel sorry for these poor people, whose native language is something other than English, so sad. Look how they struggle with their second or third language, this poor fellow thought "inquiry" was spelled like "query"! :rofl: You can't blame him I suppose, I mean it is a terribly hard language to learn, for non-native speakers.

"Inqueries"! Hilarious! :biggrin:
+1 for satirical commentary

:rofl: :rofl:

Now sure, its not nice to make fun of someone just because their english isn't perfect (my chinese certainly isn't), but some of the pictures are funny, just as any failed attempt I make at speaking chinese is bound to sound ridiculous to anyone who actually speaks it. In the words of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.......

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=gods-favored-coffee.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-03-16" [Broken] certainly opens itself up to political and social commentary.

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
This site is awesome; I've frequented it for around seven years or so now. I especially like the Colonel Sanders figurine that they label "Uncle Sam."

Most of the Engrish found on Engrish.com is not an attempt to communicate - English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question (the girl wearing the "*something*" shirt for example, had no idea what it said until a foreigner pointed it out to her). There is therefore less emphasis on spell checking and grammatical accuracy (note: the same can be said for the addition of Japanese or Chinese characters to hats, shirts and tattoos found in the US or Europe).
Interesting. I'd been told this before(that english was used like that in Japan) but didn't think much of it.

J77

Rach3 said:
Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in their use of the English language. Cracks me up.
:biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question
It's probably not as common, but I know Americans will do the same thing with Japanese and Chinese characters. T-shirts, in particular, will frequently have nonsense characters put together to make it look like the wearer is cultured or elite.

J77

One of my mates had a Paul Frank t-shirt with "I'm a stupid American" on the front in Japanese :biggrin:

He taught at a big college in the US :biggrin:

Rach3

J77 said:
Huh? It's idiomatic and correct. Cf. "I made a mistake in the mathematics".

Honorablle menshons:
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=engine-room.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-01-13" [Broken]