Fractions/brackets/parentheses and powers.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jackie In Italy
  • Start date
In summary, to simplify the given expression, we follow the order of operations which states that we should simplify the inside of parentheses first, then simplify the exponent of the set of parentheses, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and lastly addition and subtraction from left to right. Using this order, we can simplify the given expression to 1.
Jackie In Italy
My daughter has some maths homework for the Christmas holidays and with a test when she returns next week but I really don't understand how to do this kind of maths and she doesn't understand it either. She has a page of exercises to do but if someone could please help me with one by explaining how to do it, I would be most grateful.
Here is one of the exercises:

(- 1/2 - 1/3)^2 . (2/5 -2)^2 +[(7/9 - 2/3) : (1/2 - 9/22) ] - 5/6 (2+ 2/5)

Sorry I couldn't type the fractions on my computer any better than above. ^2 is to the power of 2 as I couldn't put a small 2 high up.
The dot . is actually in the middle not at the baseline in the exercise.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Help needed with fractions/brackets/parentheses and powers.

Jackie In Italy said:
My daughter has some maths homework for the Christmas holidays and with a test when she returns next week but I really don't understand how to do this kind of maths and she doesn't understand it either. She has a page of exercises to do but if someone could please help me with one by explaining how to do it, I would be most grateful.
Here is one of the exercises:

(- 1/2 - 1/3)^2 . (2/5 -2)^2 +[(7/9 - 2/3) : (1/2 - 9/22) ] - 5/6 (2+ 2/5)

Sorry I couldn't type the fractions on my computer any better than above. ^2 is to the power of 2 as I couldn't put a small 2 high up.
The dot . is actually in the middle not at the baseline in the exercise.

Hi Jackie from Italy! Welcome to MHB!

For starters, do you mean to simplify:

$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}- \frac{5}{6\left(2+\frac{2}{5}\right)}$

or

$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}- \frac{5\left(2+\frac{2}{5}\right)}{6}$

P.S. You can quote my reply to see how to formulate the mathematics expressions in latex. :D

anemone said:
Hi Jackie from Italy! Welcome to MHB!

For starters, do you mean to simplify:

$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}- \frac{5}{6\left(2+\frac{2}{5}\right)}$

or

$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}- \frac{5\left(2+\frac{2}{5}\right)}{6}$

P.S. You can quote my reply to see how to formulate the mathematics expressions in latex. :D

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure as it is just written as you wrote except the ending

- - - Updated - - -

Jackie In Italy said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure as it is just written as you wrote except the ending

$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}-\frac{5}{6} (2+\frac{2}{5} )$

- - - Updated - - -

ps. thanks for your help with the latex!

Jackie In Italy said:
$\left(-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\frac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 +\frac{\frac{7}{9}-\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{9}{22}}-\frac{5}{6} (2+\frac{2}{5} )$

In this case, what you've to exercise cautious with is all about the order of operations. It's a standard that defines the order in which you should simplify the given expression with a combination of different operations.

First, we should always simplify the inside of parentheses before dealing with the exponent of the set of parentheses.

Second, we simplify the exponent of a set of parentheses before we multiply, divide, add, or subtract it.

Next, we simplify multiplication and division in the order that they appear from left to right.

Last, we simplify addition and subtraction in the order that they appear from left to right.

$=\color{red}\left(-\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{1}{3}\right)^2 \cdot \left(\dfrac{2}{5}-2\right)^2 \color{black}+\dfrac{\dfrac{7}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}}{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{9}{22}}-\dfrac{5}{6} \color{red}(2+\dfrac{2}{5} )$

$=\color{red}\left(-\dfrac{5}{6}\right)^2 \cdot \left(-\dfrac{8}{5}\right)^2 \color{black}+\dfrac{\dfrac{7}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}}{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{9}{22}}-\dfrac{5}{6} \color{red}(\dfrac{12}{5} )$

$=\color{red}\left(\dfrac{5}{6}\right)\left(\dfrac{5}{6}\right) \cdot \left(\dfrac{8}{5}\right)\left(\dfrac{8}{5}\right) \color{black}+\dfrac{\dfrac{7}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}}{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{9}{22}}-\dfrac{\cancel{5}^1}{\cancel{6}} \color{red}(\dfrac{\cancel{12}^2}{\cancel{5}} )$

$=\color{red}\left(\dfrac{\cancel{5}}{\cancel{6}^3}\right)\left(\dfrac{\cancel{5}}{\cancel{6}^3}\right) \cdot \left(\dfrac{\cancel{8}^4}{\cancel{5}}\right)\left(\dfrac{\cancel{8}^4}{\cancel{5}}\right) \color{black}+\dfrac{\dfrac{7}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}}{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{9}{22}}-\color{red}\dfrac{2}{1}$

$=\color{red}\left(\dfrac{4\cdot 4}{3\cdot 3}\right) \color{black}+\dfrac{\dfrac{7}{9}-\dfrac{2}{3}}{\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{9}{22}}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{16}{9} \color{black}+\color{blue}\dfrac{\dfrac{1}{9}}{\dfrac{1}{11}}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{16}{9} \color{black}+\color{blue}\dfrac{1}{9}\div\dfrac{1}{11}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{16}{9} \color{black}+\color{blue}\dfrac{1}{9}\times\dfrac{11}{1}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{16}{9} \color{black}+\color{blue}\dfrac{11}{9}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{16+11}{9} \color{black}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}\dfrac{27}{9} \color{black}-\color{red}2$

$=\color{red}3 \color{black}-\color{red}2$

$=1$

Related to Fractions/brackets/parentheses and powers.

1. What is the difference between a fraction and a bracket/parentheses?

A fraction is a numerical representation of a part of a whole, written in the form of a ratio of two numbers (e.g. 1/2). On the other hand, brackets or parentheses are symbols used to group numbers or operations in an equation or expression.

2. How do you simplify fractions with brackets/parentheses?

To simplify fractions with brackets/parentheses, you can use the distributive property. This means that you multiply the number outside the brackets/parentheses by each number inside and then add or subtract the results, depending on the operation. For example, (1/4) x (3/5) = (3/20).

3. What is the purpose of using brackets/parentheses in fractions?

Brackets/parentheses are used in fractions to indicate the order of operations. Just like in regular mathematical expressions, the operations inside the brackets/parentheses should be performed first before any other operations.

4. How do you raise a fraction to a power?

To raise a fraction to a power, you raise both the numerator and denominator to the power. For example, (1/2)^2 = (1^2)/(2^2) = 1/4.

5. Can fractions and powers be combined in an equation?

Yes, fractions and powers can be combined in an equation. For example, (1/2)^3 = (1^3)/(2^3) = 1/8. However, it is important to follow the correct order of operations and simplify the resulting fraction if possible.