Frame velocity v. object velocity in derivation of 4-velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
EricTheWizard
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I've been learning about 4-velocity and all the "proper" 4-vectors recently, and if I understand correctly, proper velocity η (the 3-vector) is related to ordinary velocity by the relation [tex]\vec\eta = \frac{\vec u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex], where u is ordinary velocity of an object within a certain frame, but that it is derived from the lorentz transformations for ordinary and proper time, which give the relation [tex]\frac{d\vec x}{d\tau} = \frac{d\vec x}{dt}\frac{dt}{d\tau}=\frac{\vec u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] where v is the velocity of the reference frame. What I don't understand is how v made this leap to u, or more clearly, how the frame velocity became ordinary velocity.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it by thinking out loud..

Suppose we see some object moving at constant speed u along the x direction (just to make things simpler). To find out how fast its moving I take a derivative with respect to proper time, [tex]dx^{\beta}/d\tau[/tex] and it will have components [tex](u^0, u^1,0,0)=(\gamma, \gamma u,0,0)[/tex] where u is how fast I measure (using my clocks and rods) the object moving.

So what's in [tex]\gamma[/tex]? The speed u, so [tex]\gamma=(1-u^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] because that is what I observe. Also, you can check by working out the boost to the object's rest frame:

[tex] \bar{u}^{\alpha}=\Lambda^{\alpha}_{\beta}u^{\beta}[/tex]

which results in [tex]\bar{u}^{\alpha}=(1,0,0,0)[/tex] as it should.

So where are you getting your v? Is there another frame you're not including in your question?
 
Ahh I understand now, I had this picture in my head of some extraneous frame I guess I didn't need... Thanks for clarifying.