France Wins 0-1 Over Brazil in Exciting Match

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brazil
In summary, France shocked the world with their impressive victory over Brazil, with a goal from Henry and a masterful performance from Zidane. They were previously underestimated but have proven to be a strong and well-oiled team. Their style has been compared to catenaggio, but their flair and imagination make them stand out. As the only team left in the tournament that did not qualify as first in their group, they are looking to add another World Cup trophy to their collection.
marlon
BRAZIL IS OUT ! HAHA They lost 0-1 to France with a goal from Henry after a great free kick by Zidane in the 57th minute. What a great match the French team played.

As England was the most overestimated team of this WCup, France was the most underestimated team, IMO

marlon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh yes and England is also OUT (ofcourse). They lost to Portugal after the penalty shoot out.

marlon

marlon said:
As England was the most overestimated team of this WCup, France was the most underestimated team, IMO

marlon

I agree.

Honorific Mentions: Ghana, Ukraine (New ones) and Argentina (Surviving the Pot of Death)

Also underestimated:
Ecuador and Australia.

Relatively untested:
Italy

Brazil fully cracked under pressure. They managed to fight back at the end but it was simply not good enough!

Wow. That performance from France was probably the best of any team during the knockout stages. And Zidane! They seem to be peaking at the right time (compare to Argentina).

Brazil seem to have been labouring with a similar method to England: pick the players first, choose the system to match.

NateTG said:
Relatively untested:
Italy

I fully agree

marlon

marlon said:
BRAZIL IS OUT ! HAHA They lost 0-1 to France with a goal from Henry after a great free kick by Zidane in the 57th minute. What a great match the French team played.

Yes; I have to say that the French team is winning my admiration. People around me were first joking about the poor performance of their "oldies" ; a reporter even said that in the place of Domenech (the french trainer/selector), he'd ask for political asilum in Germany in order not to have to come back to France. It's true that their first games were rather poor, inspirationless and it seemed that they suffered from their old age (usually they wore down after ~60 minutes of play). But they woke up against Spain, and this game against Brazil was pure top class!

Good show by France (Zidane, Henry, Ribery). Towards the end, they were playing a little too defensive - which can be risky against a team like Brazil - but a great performance overall. Zidane was a treat to watch!

vanesch said:
Yes; I have to say that the French team is winning my admiration. People around me were first joking about the poor performance of their "oldies" ; a reporter even said that in the place of Domenech (the french trainer/selector), he'd ask for political asilum in Germany in order not to have to come back to France. It's true that their first games were rather poor, inspirationless and it seemed that they suffered from their old age (usually they wore down after ~60 minutes of play). But they woke up against Spain, and this game against Brazil was pure top class!

Indeed, i know the story very well about Domenech because it was also everywhere in the Flemish newspapers. Indeed, in the beginning, les Bleus were not really impressive but that does not say much. The team grew gradually throught the WCup stages and finally reached a magnificent level of play. Zidane is a genius and the rest of the team follows his command. this is a fine piece of machinery.

IMO, something anologous has happened with Der Mannschaft. Prior to the WCup they sucked but that does not say anything. This was proven by their performance in this WCup.

marlon

Gokul43201 said:
Good show by France (Zidane, Henry, Ribery). Towards the end, they were playing a little too defensive - which can be risky against a team like Brazil - but a great performance overall. Zidane was a treat to watch!

yes, it's normal (but indeed very dangeruous, ask Argentina) one playes in a more defensive way as soon as one gets ahead. This is what catenaggio is all about.

and yes, also Ribery was a star of the evening

marlon

Last edited:
It seems like France is going for another World Cup trophy

Amazing, and to think that France is the only team left that didn't classify as the first of their group.

Cyclovenom said:
Amazing, and to think that France is the only team left that didn't classify as the first of their group.
Exactly, they truly are a revelation

regards
marlon

marlon said:
yes, it's normal (but indeed very dangeruous, ask Argentina) one playes in a more defensive way as soon as one gets ahead. This is what catenaggio is all about.

and yes, also Ribery was a star of the evening

marlon

LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You are the first person in the history of football to say the Argie's play "Cantenaggio" football.

I suppose there 6-0 trouncing of Serbia was a masterclass of cantenaggio. :rolleyes:

Cantenaggio isn't what you just described anyway. Cantenaggio is the ideal to build your team from the back. Under no circumstances must you let a goal in. In Midfield you put 10 players behind the ball, and man mark (violently sometimes). Defending a 1:0 lead isn't Cantenaggio. And the Argies couldn't play that style of football if they tried, they have to much flair and imagination, and play the 'fubal'.

Since France Drew with South Korea, I thought they would have a chance. They were unlucky there, and have shown to be a great team (if aging a tad)

Anyway i still want Italy to win...

Anttech said:
LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You are the first person in the history of football to say the Argie's play "Cantenaggio" football.

:rofl: You really are following my tracks here. I guess you did not digest my corrections to your false claims too well:rofl: last week . I did not know you are insulted that easily.

Anyhow, let me correct you once more. Again, you are forgetting about context here:rolleyes: . You just take out one sentence and forget about all the rest. Please, this is getting a bit boring.

I indeed linked catenaggio to the way Argentina played because once they made the goal against Germany, their game was very defensive. I never referred to any other match and i never said they always play like this so your example really is totally irrelevant. Argentina played way too defensive, got punished and we all know it. Argentina played bad catenaggio in that specific stage of the match.

*sighs* (but with delight)

marlon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5122640.stm

yeah very defensive.. Typical Cantenaggio tactics to keep 53% posesion isn't it?? :rofl: :rofl: I suppose the 13 shots they had we all long rangers, since they had sooooo many people behind the ball :rofl: (Sarcasim)

Anyway yes towards the end, they did defend more. What do you expect, an 7 man attacking move, leaving big holes at the back for the Germans to counter on. Considering the Germans have been reasonably good at countering I would say this would be a very silly tactic!

Anyway, I will presume from your most recent post that you arent actually saying the Argies play Cantenaggio? I hope this is a correct assumption :rolleyes:

Anttech said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5122640.stm

yeah very defensive.. Typical Cantenaggio tactics to keep 53% posesion isn't it?? :rofl: :rofl: I suppose the 13 shots they had we all long rangers, since they had sooooo many people behind the ball :rofl: (Sarcasim)
:rolleyes:
I did say they played BAD catenaggio, but why am i not surprised that you missed out on that:rolleyes:

Anyway yes towards the end, they did defend more. What do you expect, an 7 man attacking move, leaving big holes at the back for the Germans to counter on. Considering the Germans have been reasonably good at countering I would say this would be a very silly tactic!

Well, if that's your opinion then that's your opinion. I am really not going to argue again.

Anyway, I will presume from your most recent post that you arent actually saying the Argies play Cantenaggio? I hope this is a correct assumption :rolleyes:
CORRECT

I suppose mondays do affect everyone in a different way.

regards
marlon

What were the highlights of the match between France and Brazil?

The highlights of the match included an intense and close game between the two powerhouse teams, with France ultimately coming out on top with a 0-1 score. The goal by France's striker, Kylian Mbappé, in the 78th minute was a standout moment, as well as the strong defensive plays by both teams throughout the match.

How did France manage to win against Brazil?

France's victory over Brazil can be attributed to their strong teamwork and strategic gameplay. Their defense held up against Brazil's skilled offense, while their offense was able to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Additionally, France's coach, Didier Deschamps, made crucial substitutions and tactical decisions that ultimately helped secure the win.

What impact does this win have on France's chances in the tournament?

This win is a major boost for France's chances in the tournament. It not only gives them a crucial three points in the group stage, but it also shows their strength and ability to compete against top teams like Brazil. It also gives them a mental advantage and momentum going into their next matches.

Was there any controversy or major events during the match?

There were a few controversial moments during the match, including a penalty call against Brazil that was overturned after a VAR review. There were also a few yellow cards given to players on both teams. However, overall, the match was clean and well-played, with no major events or controversies that significantly impacted the outcome.

What is the significance of this win for France?

For France, this win not only solidifies their position as a top team in the tournament, but it also brings pride and joy to the country. Football is a major part of French culture, and a win against a strong team like Brazil is a source of national pride and unity. It also puts them in a good position to potentially advance to the later stages of the tournament and compete for the title.