Fuel usage to accelerate to 20 mph

In summary: Only the very largest of ships diesel engines achieve a thermal efficiency of 50% the conversion factor for a car engine is more like 25% at reduced throttle openings.This site can help anyone who is willing to learn, regardless of their current knowledge level.In summary, Zanes would like to know approximately how much fuel is required to accelerate from a dead stop to 20 mph. With all the variables (vehicle weight, acceleration rate, etc.), he would like to take a small car (3000 lbs) that would normally be in the 30mpg range for city driving at a "normal" acceleration rate and find the minimum fuel savings given the traffic counts at any given stop sign.
zanes
In an effort to approach the EPA on the subject of eliminating unnecessary stop signs in an effort to reduce fuel consumption nationally, I am trying to determine approximately how much fuel is required to accelerate from a dead stop to 20 mph. With all the variables (vehicle weight, acceleration rate, etc.) , I would simply like to take a small car (3000 lbs) that would normally be in the 30mpg range for city driving at a "normal" acceleration rate. With such a number in hand, calculating the minimum fuel savings given the traffic counts at any given stop sign could be easily computed. I strongly suspect that there are millions of unnecessary stop signs in the U.S., and that eliminating them would save many millions of gallons of wasted fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Zanes

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Do you know Newton's equations of motion? The definition (mathematical) of work? You'll need to make an assumption about how fast the acceleration is, but after that, it is a pretty straightforward calculation. Why don't you give it a try and we'll see if/where you get hung up.

I think this site is out of my depth. In math I didn't get much beyond the Pythagorean Theorem, and finding the hypotenuse doesn't seem to be germaine to the problem. Looks like Plan B, empirical data, is in my future. If I accelerate my car to 20mph, then decelerate to 0mph 100 times, then refill my tank, then drive the same route at 20mph, filling my tank a second time, I can get my answer (and wear out my brakes.) Thank you for responding, though. Zane Suedmeyer

I don't think this experiment will give reasonable data with just 100 stops.

The kinetic energy of 1000kg, moving at 10m/s (a bit more than 20mph), is E=1/2mv^2 = 50kJ. Cars are quite inefficient, so we can assume at least 100kJ required energy in the fuel. Petrol has an energy density of about 35MJ/l, therefore 100kJ correspond to 1/350l or about 3ml. With 1.4€ to 1.7€ per liter (roughly the price in Germany), this costs 0.4 to 0.5 (euro)cents.
All calculations are easy without a calculator. SI units are so nice ;).

zanes said:
I think this site is out of my depth. In math I didn't get much beyond the Pythagorean Theorem...
Didn't Algebra I come before geometry?

This site can help anyone who is willing to learn, regardless of their current knowledge level.

You might want to consider converting mfb's excellent answer into CO2 emissions. You would have a politically more attractive argument if you use CO2 rather than cents.

Only the very largest of ships diesel engines achieve a thermal efficiency of 50% the conversion factor for a car engine is more like 25% at reduced throttle openings.

I venture that 70% of the driving population drive in such a way as to negate the advantages of new fuel mileage technologies.

They will not change driving habits to get the most out of the technology.

1. How does fuel usage impact acceleration to 20 mph?

The amount of fuel used to accelerate to 20 mph depends on various factors such as the weight and efficiency of the vehicle, road conditions, and driving habits. Generally, the heavier the vehicle and the more aggressive the driving, the more fuel will be used to reach 20 mph.

2. Does accelerating quickly use more fuel than accelerating slowly?

Yes, accelerating quickly uses more fuel than accelerating slowly. This is because when you accelerate quickly, the engine has to work harder to increase the speed, which requires more fuel consumption.

3. How does the type of fuel affect acceleration to 20 mph?

The type of fuel used does not significantly impact acceleration to 20 mph. However, the quality and octane level of the fuel can affect the engine's performance, which can indirectly impact acceleration.

4. Is it better to accelerate to 20 mph in a higher gear or a lower gear?

It is more fuel-efficient to accelerate in a higher gear, as the engine can work at a lower RPM and use less fuel to reach 20 mph. However, it is important to ensure that the engine is not struggling and that the gear is appropriate for the speed.

5. How can I improve fuel usage when accelerating to 20 mph?

To improve fuel usage when accelerating to 20 mph, you can try to accelerate gradually instead of quickly, maintain a consistent speed, and avoid unnecessary acceleration and braking. Additionally, regular vehicle maintenance and using high-quality fuel can also help improve fuel efficiency.