Function with 'n' number of inputs(matlab

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter buildingblocs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB is a user-defined function that can take in any number of inputs as specified by the user. To define such a function, the keyword 'varargin' can be used in the function declaration. It is also possible to have a function with both fixed and variable number of inputs in MATLAB by specifying the fixed inputs in the function declaration and using 'varargin' for the variable inputs. To pass multiple inputs to a function, the square brackets '[ ]' can be used. The advantages of using a function with 'n' number of inputs include increased flexibility and efficiency in code.
buildingblocs
I want make a function that will calculate the equivalent resistance of resistor in series. I want the function to compute any number of inputs. i.e [output] = function(r1,r2,r3...rn) . How would I accomplish this in matlab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a vector as the input.

1. What is a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB?

A function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB is a user-defined function that can take in any number of inputs as specified by the user. This allows for greater flexibility and versatility in creating custom functions for specific tasks.

2. How do I define a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB?

To define a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB, you can use the keyword 'varargin' in the function declaration. This allows the function to accept any number of inputs as specified by the user, and you can access these inputs using the 'varargin' variable within the function body.

3. Can I have a function with both fixed and variable number of inputs in MATLAB?

Yes, you can have a function with both fixed and variable number of inputs in MATLAB. You can specify the fixed inputs in the function declaration, and use the 'varargin' keyword for the variable inputs. This allows for more control over the inputs for the function.

4. How can I pass multiple inputs to a function in MATLAB?

To pass multiple inputs to a function in MATLAB, you can use the square brackets '[ ]' to enclose the inputs separated by commas. For example, if your function takes in two inputs, you can call it as function_name([input1, input2]). This will pass both inputs to the function.

5. What are the advantages of using a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB?

One of the main advantages of using a function with 'n' number of inputs in MATLAB is its flexibility. It allows for a more generalized approach in creating functions that can handle a wide range of inputs. It also reduces the need for creating multiple functions with fixed inputs, making the code more concise and efficient.