Gas collected over water in Zn and HCl reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackjones12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laws
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jackjones12
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given the following chemical reaction:
Zn + HCl ----> ZnCl2 + H2(g)

If you measured the total volume of collected gas over water at 20 Celsius to be 428 ml at a total pressure of 845 torr, how many milliliters of 2.6M HCl would be required to produce the correct amount of Hydrogen?

Homework Equations


Dalton's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution


Im not asking for a complete answer here just need help starting, I can't seem to even get how to begin this problem. Any information will be appreciated, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of gas were collected?

Can you use this number of moles to calculate moles of HCl necessary? Then volume of solution that contains these moles?
 
How can i find out how many moles I collected if i wasnt even given how many i started of with. I am sorry to sound dumb but I am having a difficult with this. It might be that I am just missing something really small.
 
You are missing something something really big. It is called ideal gas equation.