Geophysics vs economics: do I need a PhD for geophysics careers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bogrune
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Geophysics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Bogrune
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone!
I'm currently undecided on whether I should study Economics or Geophysics. The main reason I'm undecided is because I don't have much of a clue what kinds of careers are open for Geophysicitst. After taking a course in General Geology this semester, I found topics such as Plate Tectonics, Volcanism and Mineralogy pretty interesting. However, my greatest fear is that if I decide to major in Geophysics, I'll only be able to get a career in that field if I have a PhD, which will obviously take plenty of time and money to accomplish. Is the part about me needing a PhD true?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which part of the world you are in. Ph.D. would give more options but there are jobs for masters as well. Mostly you'll end up working in oil companies.