1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a PhD after a gap, what to do in meantime?

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    I recently graduated with a dual BS/MS degree that my school offers. I am considering going to grad school for a PhD in the future, and I am considering applying sometime this fall after taking the GRE/PGRE and getting recommendation letters set up. My question is that if I am looking to get a PhD in particle theory/string theory/grand unification what should I be doing in the meantime? I right now am looking at jobs in modelling or data science in the meantime because I have a few good opportunities in them around me, but I'm not sure if I should be looking at other types of jobs while I wait. If I'm going into theory should I be looking to do some part time teaching (which I'm qualified for as I have an MS) or should I be looking for jobs that are similar to engineering, or will any quantitative job do, so long as my application looks strong enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2
    Probably. Paying off loans would be a high priority.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook