Not sure if I should go for a MS or PHD After BS.

• Other
  • Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the author is considering whether or not to pursue an MS or PhD in mathematics (pure). She is considering doing mathematical physics, mathematical modeling, or teaching once she enters the workforce. She is transferring to a 4-year university near her home and is considering the school to be mediocre. Some of her classes here are not rigorous enough and this has led her to believe that she will not be ready for a PHD program. She is 27 and makes sure to go beyond what is being offered in the lectures. She has a good academic record but is uncertain about whether or not she should pursue a PhD right away. She has been told that funding is good for students pursuing STEM disciplines, and she provides a quick advice for those
MidgetDwarf
I have been thinking whether or not I should I go for an MS or PHD in mathematics (pure) right after my BS. I will receive 2 BS 2 years from now. One is in mathematics (pure) and the other in physics. I am considering doing mathematical physics, mathematical modeling, or teaching once I enter the workforce (ideally).
Due to economic factors, I was forced to transfer to a 4yr University near my home. The university is a state school in California, and is considered mediocre.

Some of my classes here are not "rigorous" enough, and this idea has led me to believe I will not be ready for PHD program. My preparation at a community college was above average, but at this university, it seems that teachers place in emphasis on teaching towards to lowest common denominator, and towards actually presenting the material suited for studies in a graduate program.

But as an adult, I am 27, I make sure to go beyond what is being offered in the lectures, and I try to teach myself the material at a higher level. Ie, I plan to go over Shilov's Analysis book on my own. My school uses Lax. In other words, I cover my tracks the best I can.

Now, there are a few teachers that are excellent, namely 3 in the math department. The problem is that the "easier" teachers teach most of the classes. However, the physics department is great here!

My eventual goal is to gain a phd in mathematics. I can play it safe, and go for a MS at another CalState. Most likely San Luis Obispo or Cal State Long Beach. My grades so far are good, I have a few internships under my belt, reputable people that are willing to write recommendation letters, and I will have research experience before I graduate. I was told that their is a program offers that gives students 20,000 dollars to cover the cost of their masters program at a Calstate, and other forms of aid. Then go to the "best" phd program i am able to get into.

My other idea, is that I may be wasting my time getting a masters. I heard that funding is good for students that are minorities pursing STEM disciplines.Or should I just enter a phd program right away? What are the pro or cons of both options?

Physics news on Phys.org
My quick advice is to immediately seek a PhD program if possible. I would only recommend a Masters degree if you feel you will not continue on to a PhD. That's from my own experience that may not transfer to your case but I felt, though my time pursuing a masters was worthwhile, it was not time efficient.

In the US, a master followed by a PhD is quite uncommon.
In Europe, a master is (typically) required for a PhD program, but the PhD directly starts with research and no coursework. The US PhD is similar to master+PhD in Europe together.

If you are sure you want to get a PhD in the US, start it directly. If you are unsure, you can start a master program and then (a) do teaching without PhD or (b) get a PhD in Europe or (c) get a PhD in the US and try to get some of the master coursework counted towards the PhD.

Academic research will need a PhD, research elsewhere does not (but it can influence the options and salary), teaching outside universities will typically not depend on a PhD.

1. What is the main difference between a MS and PHD after earning a BS degree?

The main difference between a Master's (MS) and a Doctorate (PHD) degree is the level of education and specialization. A Master's degree typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on a specific field of study, while a Doctorate degree can take 4-6 years and involves original research in a specific area of study.

2. Which degree is more beneficial for a career in research or academia?

Both a MS and PHD degree can lead to a career in research or academia, but a PHD is generally more beneficial for those seeking a research-based career. A PHD allows for more in-depth research and specializations, making it a valuable asset for those pursuing a career in academia.

3. What are the potential job prospects for someone with a MS versus a PHD?

Individuals with a Master's degree may have a wider range of job prospects, as they can work in various industries and roles related to their field of study. Those with a PHD may have more limited job prospects, but they are often more specialized and can lead to higher positions in research or academia.

4. Is it possible to earn a PHD without first obtaining a Master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to earn a PHD without first obtaining a Master's degree. Some programs offer a direct-to-PhD track, where students can earn their Master's degree along the way to obtaining their Doctorate. However, this may require additional time and coursework.

5. How do I decide whether to pursue a MS or PHD after earning a BS?

The decision to pursue a MS or PHD after earning a BS degree depends on your career goals, interests, and academic strengths. Consider speaking with professors or professionals in your field, researching potential job opportunities, and evaluating your personal goals before making a decision.