1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into top 20 grad school still possible?

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    Hello guys,

I just want to share my situation, to see if I can still get into a really good grad school.

For the most part of my 3 years in college I have gotten straight A's however in fall of

2011 my grandfather and one of my best friend died suddenly. I was mentally broken,

and took the easy way out and dabbled in drugs and hung out with bad people. I ended up in that semester with a D in organic B+ in calc and B in intro to engineering.

Fast-forward to spring of 2013 I have gotten straight A's from fall 2011 to spring 2013, but

then a horrible mistake happened that destroyed this semester. My computer was

stolen the night before my project was due worth 45% of my grade, I spoke to the

professor who aloud me to turn it in later in the week so I spent the next few days

trying to work on a project that originally took me over 100 hours to do in 3 days.

So in short I had to sacrifice all my other finals ended up getting B+ in intro to stats B

in linear algebra and a D in that engineering class. Even though the professor felt bad,

since I had an A originally I could not qualify for an incomplete, which I completely

understand, but still. As of now I have a 3.58 gpa, and he said I can retake the course

and use the forgiveness policy " counts the higher grade but still shows the D on my

transcript" and it should boost my gpa right back up.

But still seeing those two D's would look horrible, would I still have somewhat of a shot

to go to a great grad school for engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2
    I can't guarantee you a spot, but here is what I would do:
    -If you really think you can't do a top 20, apply to more than just top 20
    -Talk about your struggle in your personal statement, but emphasize that you have grown since then
    -Get very good letters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook