Given general z-oriented spinor, determine the direction of spin

In summary, the problem involves determining the direction of a spin state which is given in unnormalized form in the z basis. The matrix for spin in an arbitrary direction is provided and the goal is to find the angles theta and phi such that the resulting spin state has an eigenvalue of 1. The suggested approach is to cast the spin state in complex exponential form, which allows for the elimination of overall phase factors. With this approach, the solution is found to be phi= 13pi/12 and theta = 2*cos^-1(1/sqrt(3)) = 2*sin^-1(sqrt(2/3)).
cfitz

Homework Statement

Hi All, this problem is related to spin-1/2 in an arbitrary direction, in particular building off of, but going beyond, Griffiths QM 4.30.

I am given an unnormalized general spin state, [itex]\chi[/itex] in the z basis, and then asked "in what direction is the spin state pointing?".

Homework Equations

Having solved Griffiths 4.30, I know the matrix for spin in an arbitrary direction is given by:

S = (hbar/2)[cos(theta), e^(-i*phi)sin(theta); e^(i*phi)sin(theta), -cos(theta)]

where the commas represent separation within a row, and the semi-colon indicates a new row (sry not to TeX it).

The state I am given is:

[itex]\chi[/itex] = (1+i)|up z> - (1+i*sqrt(3))|down z>

The Attempt at a Solution

My goal is to find the angles theta and phi such that S applied to [itex]\chi[/itex] just gives me back [itex]\chi[/itex]. That is, in the direction the spin state is pointing, I should get an eigenvalue of 1.

From here my method is pretty straightforward (and pretty wrong, I suppose). I just apply the matrix (to the spinor form of the [itex]\chi[/itex] state, i.e. as a column vector)then set the result equal to the original and try to find theta and phi that solves the resulting set of 2 equations.

Not only could I not solve it, I couldn't get Mathematica to solve it either, which is a red flag for me since our professor never gives overly difficult computational problems.

I should mention that I normalized the state with a 1/sqrt(6) before proceeding.

NOTE: I also tried setting my spinor equal to the up eigenvector of S, namely:

|up arbitrary> = [e^(-i*phi)cos(theta/2); e^(+i*phi)sin(theta/2)]

and had similar issues (not being able to solve).

Is this totally the wrong approach?

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your eigenvector.
The one I usually work with is
[tex]|S_{r};+> = cos (\theta/2) |S_{z};+> + e^{i \phi}sin (\theta/2) |S_{z};->[/tex]

Another recommendation is to cast ##\chi## in complex exponential form. This allows you to eliminate overall phase factors.

Last edited:
Fightfish said:
Check your eigenvector.
The one I usually work with is
[tex]|S_{r};+> = cos (\theta/2) |S_{z};+> + e^{i \phi}sin (\theta/2) |S_{z};->[/tex]

Another recommendation is to cast ##\chi## in complex exponential form. This allows you to eliminate overall phase factors.

Thanks for the suggestions Fightfish, all is well now!

Putting the original chi amplitudes into polar form was the trick, exactly for the reason you said. I was able to factor out an overall phase and them simply match coefficients with [tex]|S_{r};+>[/tex].

If anyone finds this and wants to try, I got, using the [tex]|S_{r};+>[/tex] Fightfish posted, that phi= 13pi/12 and theta = 2*cos^-1(1/sqrt(3)) = 2*sin^-1(sqrt(2/3))

1. What is a z-oriented spinor?

A z-oriented spinor is a mathematical object in quantum mechanics that describes the spin of a particle along the z-axis. It is represented by a complex vector with two components, called spin-up and spin-down, which correspond to the two possible spin states of the particle along the z-axis.

2. How do you determine the direction of spin from a general z-oriented spinor?

To determine the direction of spin from a general z-oriented spinor, you can use the Pauli spin matrices, which are mathematical operators that represent the spin of a particle in three dimensions. By applying the appropriate spin matrix to the spinor, you can extract information about the direction of spin.

3. What are the possible directions of spin for a z-oriented spinor?

The possible directions of spin for a z-oriented spinor are along the positive or negative z-axis. This means that the particle can have a spin that is either parallel or antiparallel to the direction of the z-axis.

4. Can a z-oriented spinor have a spin in other directions besides the z-axis?

No, a z-oriented spinor only describes the spin of a particle along the z-axis. To fully describe the spin of a particle in three dimensions, you would need a spinor for each axis (x, y, and z) or use a different mathematical representation, such as a spin vector.

5. How is a z-oriented spinor used in quantum mechanics?

A z-oriented spinor is used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle and its interactions with other particles and fields. It is a crucial component in many quantum systems and plays a significant role in measurements and calculations of quantum states.