Given z=x²+3xy-2y² Estimate the change in z

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doesnt Matter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Estimate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Doesnt Matter
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Given z=x²+3xy-2y² Estimate the change in z when x changes from 2 to 2,5 and y changes from 3 to 2,52. I am stuck with the math and can't figure it out as what I need to do further.3.
a=2
b=3
Δx= +0,5
Δy= -0,5

dz/dx = 2x+3y
=2(2)+3(3)
=13
dz/dy = 3x-4y
= 3(2)-4(3)
=-6
Δz=f(a+Δx ; b+Δy) - f(a,b)
=f
[2+0,5 ; 3+(-0,5)] - f(2,-0,5)
=f(2,3)(0,5) + f(2,3)(-0,5)
=** This is where I am stuck.

=13(0.5) + (-6)(-0,5)
=9,5?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesnt Matter said:
1. Given z=x²+3xy-2y² Estimate the change in z when x changes from 2 to 2,5 and y changes from 3 to 2,52. I am stuck with the math and can't figure it out as what I need to do further.3.
a=2
b=3
Δx= +0,5
Δy= -0,5

dz/dx = 2x+3y
=2(2)+3(3)
=13
dz/dy = 3x-4y
= 3(2)-4(3)
=-6

You're almost there: To first order, you can approximate: [itex]\delta z = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \delta x + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \delta y[/itex]

You know that:
[itex]\delta x = + 0.5[/itex] (in America, we use "." for decimals, rather than ",")
[itex]\delta y = - 0.5[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = 13[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -6[/itex]

So you just plug in what you know to compute [itex]\delta z[/itex]
 
That's a plausible way to estimate the change in z but the exact value is z(2.5, 2.5)- z(2, 3).
 
HallsofIvy said:
That's a plausible way to estimate the change in z but the exact value is z(2.5, 2.5)- z(2, 3).

But the homework asked for an estimate.