Gold bracteates from Norway's Migration Period discovered by amateur

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amateur Gold
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8 replies · 3K views
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
3,877
Reaction score
6,212
"Associate professor Håkon Reiersen with the museum said the gold pendants—flat, thin, single-sided gold medals called bracteates—date from around A.D. 500, the so-called Migration Period in Norway, which runs between 400 and about 550, when there were widespread migrations in Europe."

Found by an amateur enthusiast. Not too bad!

https://phys.org/news/2023-09-amateur-gold-century-norway.html?utm_source=webpush&utm_medium=push
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Under Norwegian law, objects from before 1537, and coins older than 1650, are considered state property and must be handed in.

Bummer...
 
berkeman said:
Bummer...
Yeah but come on. You find that and you are a piece of history.
 
pinball1970 said:
Yeah but come on. You find that and you are a piece of history.
Yeah, I'd rather be rich :smile:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and berkeman
phinds said:
Yeah, I'd rather be rich :smile:
I'm sure he will get some sort of recompense.
 
pinball1970 said:
I'm sure he will get some sort of recompense.
I read somewhere that he made a deal with Duracell and will get free batteries for his metal detector for life. :wink:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, DaveE, BillTre and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I read somewhere that he made a deal with Duracell and will get free batteries for his metal detector for life. :wink:
Berkman. I expect better from you sir. ;)
 
berkeman said:
I read somewhere that he made a deal with Duracell and will get free batteries for his metal detector for life. :wink:
Do our Scandinavian guys have comment?