1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    Next semester, I need to take Calc 3 to finish my AA. However, our college will not be offering it at that time, though they know of an online course I can take. Since I know an online course is unlikely to provide the support needed to really get the material down, I am looking for a decent online resource to use in conjunction with the course?

I took a look at what MIT opencourseware has. The results I kept getting directed to were "Multivariable Calculus," which I'm assuming is another name for the Calc 3 course? I just want to find a really good resource to ensure I can pull off an a despite lacking a classroom and instructor. I am open to any suggestions you all have. I have taught myself math in the past, and I know it takes a lot longer to learn on your own than with an instructor who can simplify the concepts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes, Calc 3 is usually multivariable calculus. What does your college's description for Calc 3 say?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    Thanks. As far as the description, I haven't seen it yet. It was only mentioned to me by my advisor. I asked her earlier today if she could e-mail me the name of the college and the name of the instructor so I can do some research into it. I figure I can see what resources the instructor uses as well as look into feedback about the instructor on "rate my professor."

5. Sep 6, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 6, 2013 #5
    Thank you. I have seen this source before. My only problem with it is that it is not organized in a specific format designed to teach you like a typical course would. I'm sure I could use it in conjunction with the course by doing searches for specific topics, but it might prove to be difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for on that resource at any given point in the course.

7. Sep 6, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

MIT does not have three semesters of calculus. The traditional Calc I, II, III sequence is 18.01 and 18.02

8. Sep 7, 2013 #7
    Thank you for the clarification. I think I might start taking a look at the course materials in another month or so once I get further into Calc II.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook