Good universities that offer PhD programme on space-time physics

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a B.S. in physics and is interested in pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics, specifically focusing on mathematics, space-time, and gravity. They are seeking suggestions for universities with significant faculty members in these areas, particularly for international students. They are open to learning new theories and models, but recognize the importance of mastering existing ones first, especially in regards to unifying gravity and quantum field theory. They are also interested in knowing which universities would be best for studying theoretical particle physics.
rakibullah
I am doing my B.S. in physics. I want to do my PhD in theoretical physics from a good university. It may not be a so called top ranked university. I just want a university that will give me the opportunity to innovate new ideas in theoretical physics.
I have special interests in mathematics,space-time and gravity. Give your suggestions on such universities that has significant faculty members on these topics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the whole world? ;)

Spacetime and gravity means general relativity - unless you want to add particle physics, but then you will need a lot of particle physics.

In the whole world? Yes,specially those which are good for international studests

I just want to research on the properties of space-time and gravity.GR gives one of the best models about space-time ,But why shouldnn't i go for a new model?

I don't know about particle physics. Is it necessary to study space-time? I don't mind learning new things as long as it is theoretical.

Last edited:
But why shouldnn't i go for a new model?
You have to know old models really well to go for new models. And all existing "new models" are either an attempt to unify gravity and quantum field theory (=theoretical particle physics), or they are based on general relativity in some way.

I don't know about particle physics. Is it necessary to study space-time?
A lot of work is put in attempts to combine both.

Likes 1 person
Okay,then I have to study Theoretical particle physics in order to know the existing space-time models. No problem,as I've said you before:
rakibullah said:
I don't mind learning new things as long as it is theoretical.

And thanks for your clarification.

But then which universities will be good for me to study theoretical particle physics?

1. What is space-time physics?

Space-time physics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity and motion. It combines concepts from both Einstein's theory of relativity and classical mechanics to understand the nature of the universe.

2. What are some good universities that offer PhD programs in space-time physics?

Some top universities that offer PhD programs in space-time physics include the California Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Princeton University.

3. What are the prerequisites for a PhD program in space-time physics?

The prerequisites for a PhD program in space-time physics typically include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Most programs also require applicants to have a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in a related field.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD program in space-time physics?

The duration of a PhD program in space-time physics varies depending on the university and the individual's progress. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD in this field.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a PhD in space-time physics?

Graduates with a PhD in space-time physics can pursue careers in research and academia, as well as in industries such as aerospace, engineering, and government agencies. They can also work as consultants or in science communication and outreach roles.