1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good universities that offer PhD programme on space-time physics

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    I am doing my B.S. in physics. I want to do my PhD in theoretical physics from a good university. It may not be a so called top ranked university. I just want a university that will give me the opportunity to innovate new ideas in theoretical physics.
    I have special interests in mathematics,space-time and gravity. Give your suggestions on such universities that has significant faculty members on these topics.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In the whole world? ;)

Spacetime and gravity means general relativity - unless you want to add particle physics, but then you will need a lot of particle physics.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3
    In the whole world? Yes,specially those which are good for international studests

I just want to research on the properties of space-time and gravity.GR gives one of the best models about space-time ,But why shouldnn't i go for a new model?

I don't know about particle physics. Is it necessary to study space-time? I don't mind learning new things as long as it is theoretical.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. Dec 13, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have to know old models really well to go for new models. And all existing "new models" are either an attempt to unify gravity and quantum field theory (=theoretical particle physics), or they are based on general relativity in some way.

A lot of work is put in attempts to combine both.

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5
    Okay,then I have to study Theoretical particle physics in order to know the existing space-time models. No problem,as I've said you before:
    And thanks for your clarification.

But then which universities will be good for me to study theoretical particle physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook