1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPC - Polymer solvent compatibility

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given for polystyrene K = 1.6x10^5 and a = 0.71
    and for PVC K = 1.5x10^5 and a = 0.77

a universal calibration curve has been created from PS and the molar mass of PVC at a certain elution volume has been calculated.

The part I'm not sure on is the question:

Show which of the two polymers is more compatible with tetrahydrofuran (THF).

2. Relevant equations

[η]= KM[itex]\stackrel{a}{v}[/itex]

[η][itex]_{x}[/itex] M[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [η][itex]_{PS}[/itex] M[itex]_{PS}[/itex]

K[itex]_{x}[/itex] M[itex]\stackrel{ax +1}{x}[/itex] = K[itex]_{PS}[/itex] M[itex]\stackrel{aps +1}{PS}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From my understanding the constant "a" in the equation is related to the polymer - solvent interaction, in that the higher the value of a, the more compatible with the solvent the polymer is.
    Also for the molar mass of PVC compared to PS at a given elution volume the molar mass is lower than that of PS, is this relevant? as a increases the molar mass continues to drop and at lower a values the molar mass rises. Am I correct in thinking that a greater molar mass at a given elution volume means that there is less compatibility between the polymer and the solvent?
    Essentially, am I on the right lines here as I have done considerable searching but cannot find anywhere that explicitly links the constant "a" with compatibility or a study on a link between molar mass at elution volumes to compatibility.

I apologise if my equations are not completely clear.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2
    The Mark-Houwink equation, [η]= K.Mv^a is what you want. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark–Houwink_equation

When a = 0.5 the polymer solvent interaction is theta, higher is good, lower is bad. PVC is more soluble in THF than PS because a is higher. This means its hydrodynamic volume will be different for the same molecular weight, and the PVC is a more extended chain than PS.

The remaining given equations can be used to determine a conversion, and gives a constant when resolved for converting the observed viscosity average MW (Mv) of PVC into the actual Mv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted