Gravitational field in the galaxy and Schwarzschild´s time dilation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Ennio
Messages
26
Reaction score
2
Is it possible to estimate the gravitational force of the center of a Galaxy (it could be Andromeda or the Milky way) to any point (such as a planet) of its Orbit? Furthermore is there such as Schwarzschild solution that calculates the time dilation of any point of an external Galaxy (e.g. Andromeda) to the earth? Thank you in adv.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ennio said:
Is it possible to estimate the gravitational force of the center of a Galaxy (it could be Andromeda or the Milky way) to any point (such as a planet) of its Orbit?

Sure. You find the mass contained within the region you're interested in defining as the center, and then you apply regular gravitational laws.

Ennio said:
Furthermore is there such as Schwarzschild solution that calculates the time dilation of any point of an external Galaxy (e.g. Andromeda) to the earth?

I don't know anything about a Schwarzschild solution, but calculating the amount of time dilation between ourselves and any other visible point is certainly possible in principle. I believe you can get a back of the envelope calculation that's reasonably accurate without too much difficulty.
 
Drakkith said:
Sure. You find the mass contained within the region you're interested in defining as the center, and then you apply regular gravitational laws.

Could you link me a concrete calculation from PhysicsForums or from an external source?
 
I would if I knew of a source that explicitly stated the calculations. But unfortunately I do not know of one. I just know the basics of how you would go about doing it.