Gravitational tractor for towing asteroids

In summary, astronauts Lu and Love propose using a spaceship as a gravitational tractor to tow asteroids. They provide a formula for the required thrust, with a notional 20 ton spacecraft with a 20 degree angle hovering above a 200m diameter asteroid with density 2g/cm^3. However, there are discrepancies in the formula and it is unclear how to compute the amount of thrust needed without the asteroid's mass. The paper also mentions that the spaceship's thrusters need to be angled away from the asteroid to avoid collision.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tex doesn't seem to work in preview mode anymore. So sorry for the hard-to-read formulas.

In a paper recently published astronauts Edward T. Lu and Stanley G. Love propose using a spaceship as a "gravitational tractor for towing asteroids".
http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0509/0509595.pdf

There's some math I don't understand in this paper:

The thrust required to balance the gravitational attraction is given by T cos[sin-1(r/d)+a] = GMm/d^2 = 1.12(p/2g/cm^3)(r/d)^3(m/2x10^4Kg)(d/100m). Thus a notional 20 ton spacecraft with a=20 degrees hovering one half radius above the surface (d/r=1.5) can tow a 200m diameter asteroid (r=100m) with density p=2g/cm^3 provided it can maintain a total thrust T=1N.

Since the formula is in the form x=y=z, I imagine that if I computed them seperately, that I'd get 3 identical answers. I'll try the 2nd and 3rd approaches:

Since it gives the asteroid diameter as 200m, and its density as 2g/cc, this means the asteroid's mass (M) is 8377580410 kg. It states the spacecraft is 20 tons. Tons has a few different meanings. I'm assuming they mean metric tons or 20,000 kg. Distance from center of mass is 150m.

GMm/d^2
(6.67e-11 * 8377580409.57278 * 20000) / 150^2 = 0.496696224 N

1.12(p/2g/cm^3)(r/d)^3(m/2x10^4Kg)(d/100m)
1.12((2g)/2g/cm^3)(1.5)^3(20000Kg/2x10^4Kg)(150m/100m)
1.12(1)(1.5)^3(1)(1.5)
1.12*1.5^3*1.5 = 5.67 (no units. They all cancel, so how can this equal thrust? Also, there's no M (asteroid mass) in this formula. How can I compute the amount of thrust needed to hover over an asteroid without the asteroid's mass?)

0.4967 N does not equal 5.67 does not equal 1 N. What am I failing to understand?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The spaceship is angling its thrusters away from the asteroid to avoid hitting it - that's why more thrust is needed than GmM/d^2.

Using google calculator, I also get .496 Newtons for the force.

The spaceship is angling it's thrusters roughly 60 degrees away from a straight-line thrust, which is why it needs 1 Newton of thrust rather than .5 Newton.

60 degrees comes from arcsin(1/1.5) which is close to 40 degrees, plus 20 more.

The second expression is dimensionless - but it should have a value of 1 with the parameters specified - except for the first constant, which is in Newtons.

The paper probably meant to write

Thus T = 1 N * (complicated dimensionless expression)

I don't know why they didn't write it that way :-(.

1. How does a gravitational tractor work?

A gravitational tractor is a hypothetical spacecraft that uses its own gravitational force to attract and alter the trajectory of an asteroid. The tractor would fly alongside the asteroid, using its gravity to slowly pull the asteroid off its collision course with Earth.

2. Can a gravitational tractor be used to prevent an asteroid impact?

Yes, a gravitational tractor could potentially be used to prevent an asteroid impact. By altering the asteroid's trajectory, the tractor could divert the asteroid away from Earth, reducing the risk of an impact.

3. How close does a gravitational tractor need to be to an asteroid to work?

A gravitational tractor would need to be within a few hundred meters of the asteroid to be effective. This is because the strength of the tractor's gravitational pull decreases with distance.

4. What are the potential risks of using a gravitational tractor to tow an asteroid?

One potential risk is the possibility of the asteroid breaking apart under the force of the tractor's gravity. There is also a risk of the asteroid's trajectory being altered in a way that could still result in an impact with Earth.

5. Are there alternative methods for diverting an asteroid besides using a gravitational tractor?

Yes, there are alternative methods for diverting an asteroid, such as using kinetic impactors or nuclear explosives. However, a gravitational tractor may be a more precise and controllable option for smaller asteroids.