Gravity and General Relativity: The Curvature of Space-Time

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ElectroViruz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ElectroViruz
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Spacetime_curvature.png


According to what I understand about gravity in general relativity, is that it's a space time curvature (like the picture above).

I'm just a little curious. Let's say if there are two bodies with gravity with same mass, (assume two planets in 2D view)

FEuvUvB.png


That (above) would be what the curvature look like when they're far enough.

But when they're about to collide into each other, what would happen to the curvature ?

rVGLoIL.png


Would they form a constructive curve ? (Therefore increasing it's gravitational force isn't it ?)

Or

V1sQJT6.png


Would they still collide but maintain both it's curvature ?

Thanks in advance.

*I wouldn't say I know much about general relativity
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ElectroViruz said:
According to what I understand about gravity in general relativity, is that it's a space time curvature (like the picture above).

Yes, it is space-time curvature but no, it is not like the picture, which only shows spatial curvature.

ElectroViruz said:
Would they still collide but maintain both it's curvature ?

Einstein's equations are non-linear so yes, gravitation does not simply add up as a superposition. However, in most cases you will encounter, only the linear terms are relevant.
 
Orodruin said:
Yes, it is space-time curvature but no, it is not like the picture, which only shows spatial curvature.
Einstein's equations are non-linear so yes, gravitation does not simply add up as a superposition. However, in most cases you will encounter, only the linear terms are relevant.

Thank you so much. Just the answer I needed.