Gravity Mechanism: Examples and Possibilities

In summary: If you want something to be immune to movement then it needs to be able to function without any external input.
Technohedge
TL;DR Summary
Mechanism that is gravity operated but immune to other inertial effects
Hi Guys, I have a specific mechanism problem I am trying to solve. I can't divulge the specific application, however I am looking for examples of where this has been done in the past (or if this is even possible in peoples opinions).I have a mechanism that employs a weighted pendulum type component that swings about a pivot. When the unit it attaches to is orientated vertically the pendulum swings into place and acts as a blocker for another lever.When the unit is orientated horizontally the weight swings out of the way, allowing the lever to be moved. Its basically a gravity driven blocking mechanism.The issue is that when the unit is orientated vertically and blocking the required lever,when the unit is moved around, (forwards or downwards) the weighted pendulum swings in the opposite direction as it pivots, thus removing the blocking function.I have tried all sorts of slots and flats on the shaft that the weight pivots on to try and lock the weight when its in position, however it affects its ability to move out of that position when needed.Has anyone witnessed such a mechanism working in industry? Or if its even possible?

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
Technohedge said:
Summary: Mechanism that is gravity operated but immune to other inertial effects
:welcome:
As far as I understand your question any mentioned 'inertial effect' will work the same as gravity: without external reference there is no way to distinguish.
Maybe you can try to make the application direction-sensitive: a good gyroscope can 'remember' a direction so it can be be used as a reference somehow.

I can't visualize what you're asking about. It sounds like a mobile pendulum clock. Can you post a sketch?

Does the application require that the lever is pulled quickly - if not then you could try adding something to slow the pendulums movement to the point where it takes 1-2 seconds for it to move from closed to open - it would have to be accelerated to 43 miles per hour in 2 seconds to imitate gravity in this case.

Does the application require that the mechanism is placed on it's side to work? If so you could feature a latch which holds the pendulum whilst in transit and then is released when the mechanism is placed on a surface on it's side.

Is the application hand-held, and simply needs to confirm that you're holding it the right way up? If so then a button the user presses to free the pendulum could be an option, so that it doesn't swing in transit. This way the operator would have to be going out of their way to do it wrong!

Technohedge said:
but immune to other inertial effects
You realize of course that such immunity doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and JBA

1. What is gravity mechanism?

Gravity mechanism refers to the force of attraction between objects with mass. It is a fundamental force of nature that explains why objects with mass are pulled towards each other.

2. What are some examples of gravity mechanism?

The most well-known example of gravity mechanism is the Earth's gravitational pull on objects, which keeps us grounded and causes objects to fall towards the ground. Other examples include the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth, the Sun's gravitational pull on planets, and the gravitational pull between objects in space.

3. How does gravity mechanism work?

Gravity mechanism works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull. This force is also affected by the distance between objects, with closer objects having a stronger gravitational pull on each other.

4. Can gravity mechanism be explained by Einstein's theory of relativity?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity mechanism. It states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass.

5. Are there any possibilities of manipulating gravity mechanism?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate gravity mechanism. However, some theories suggest that advanced technology or understanding of the laws of physics may one day allow us to control or manipulate gravity for practical purposes.