Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity's Race/ Contest Who wins?

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Gravity's Race/ Contest.... Who wins?

Click on attachment and post your answer:smile:
    You'll be amazed!

Winner Willie
    or
    Red Balloon

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Re: Gravity's Race/ Contest.... Who wins?

Amazed that I responded to this thread. There doesn't appear to be enough information, such as the vertical distances, and the distance between large happy planet and the finish line.

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4

Hi Jeff
    The distance to the finish line is 1000 kilometers. It's called "Fast & furious 1000 Kilometer Vacuum Race Way"

As for the vertical distance, I am not sure what you mean? Each race is a different event i.e. Same place same distance at different times. Everything is the same except for the masses of the two objects released. In the illustration I mention the events are a week apart.

6. Jan 14, 2009 #5

Hi Jeff
    Sorry for the omission of data.
    The distance from the start line to the happy planet is 3000 kilometers
    Sorry about that.
    Chuck

7. Jan 14, 2009 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Still needed are the vertical distances between willie and balloon, as well as the vertical component of distance between happy planet, willie, and balloon. If I put willie 1 trillion km below happy planet and balloon, balloon will win the race everytime.

8. Jan 15, 2009 #7

Hi Jeff

The idea is that there is only one happy planet and each race starts at a different time. But if it helps, you could think of the race happening simultaneously but far enough apart that the gravity from the objects from the upper race don't affect the objects in the lower race. A trillion km if you will.
    I 'm attaching another JPG with the added dimensions.

Chuck

Attached Files:

9. Jan 15, 2009 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

While not completely giving away the answer, consider each race as a closed system, and note that being a closed system, with no external forces, the center of mass of each closed two body system will not move.

10. Jan 15, 2009 #9

Yes each race is a closed system with no external forces.
    Yes the balloon, Willie, and Happy Place will keep their round shape during the race with the center of gravity at their center i.e. no tricks.

11. Jan 15, 2009 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What I meant was that the center of mass between Happy Place and balloon doesn't move, and neither does the center of mass between Happy Place and Willie.

12. Jan 15, 2009 #11

Gotcha ya. The center of mass will not move and in the case of the red balloon the center of mass won't be to far from the center of happy planet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?