Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great Northern Paper Co - Millinocket, Me

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So I see Millinocket (Great Northern Paper) mill made national headlines recently, with the reopening of the East Millinocket plant. It was purchased by an outfit based in Portsmouth, NH. Perhaps a indicator of better days ahead. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Excerpt above reference:
    "Clouds that shrouded mighty Mount Katahdin on a still November morning gradually lifted above its mile-high summit as the day wore on, just as a pale of gloom is giving way to a glow of optimism in two Maine towns below.

Paper-making, for generations the lifeblood and soul of Millinocket and East Millinocket, is back, and a closely related new industry knocks on the door. And mill workers and those who draw a living from one of Maine’s traditional industries say they finally have something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
    "

For those who are geographically curious: Millinocket is in central Maine, 24mi SE of Katahdin and about the same latitude as Moncton, New Brunswick.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    I hope it works out for them. The price of oil has kicked everyone in the gut. The cost of paper has been rising for years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook