Greatest Theoretical Physicists of 20th Century?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter GoldPheonix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physicists Theoretical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 15K views
GoldPheonix
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
I would have to speculate they are:

Albert Einstein
Marie Curie
Niels Bohr
Erwin Schrödinger
Wolfgang Pauli
Paul Dirac
Enrico Fermi
Edwin Hubble
Robert Oppenheimer
Richard Feynman
Julian Schwinger
Sin-Itiro Tomonaga
Chen Ning Yang
Abdus Salam
Steven Weinberg
Sheldon Glashow
Peter Higgs
Gerardus 't Hooft
Murray Gell-Man
Leonard Susskind
Edward Witten

And, you know, the other tens of thousands of theoretical physicists who've changed the way we view the natural world, or made other serious theoretical contributions. Any good names that I've missed? (I know I'm missing several from the 60's work on GR, and post 70's in particle physics, but the list is pretty long as it stands) I don't think anyone I've picked here are terribly controversial, except maybe the last two string theorists.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the list going to be 20 people long, then it should include Satyendra Bose. And probably another 9 as well. That would make it a list of 30 people, which should have at least 40 names on it.
 
Ubiquitous for not making it into lists: Phil Anderson
 
Werner Heisenberg !

also Max Planck, Max Born, David Gross, and Frank Wilczek.

Perhaps more controversially; Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose.
 
I'd go for the first name popped into your mind, Albert Einstein. :)
 
you got it wrong Thread what about Werner Heisenberg,Louis de Broglie,Max Born,Lev Landau
these physicists made a major contribution in quantum physics.