Greetings from a 'late learner' and physics fan

In summary, being a 'late learner' and a physics fan can bring unique challenges and rewards. While starting to learn a complex subject like physics later in life may seem daunting, the passion and curiosity for the subject can drive one to overcome any obstacles. Additionally, the perspective and life experience that comes with being a 'late learner' can enhance the understanding and application of physics concepts. Overall, the combination of being a 'late learner' and a physics fan can lead to a fulfilling and enriching journey of learning and discovery.
Quarkman1
How did you find PF?
I found this site through references in Jakob Schwichtenberg's books 'Teach Yourself Physics' and 'No Nonsense Classical Mechanics'
Hello!

I am a 'mature' learner and am fascinated by all kinds of physics and math ideas. Learning is the key to enjoying science and keeping an open mind. I must admit, I am not very sharp on my physics skills and my calculus is pretty rusty now (I don't work in the science field, per se) so I am hoping to 'lurk' for a bit and ask some questions, which may seem elementary but it's all part of learning something you 'put down' many years ago. I took a couple of physics courses in high school and college (don't ask how long ago that was!), but I am an avid reader and I have collected over the years many books (too many, maybe!) on physics, math and astronomy.

I am an avid fan of astronomy and astrophysics, but I am also keenly interested in quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics. I just finished Richard Feynman's 'QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter' a few days ago (going to re-read that again for sure) and am waiting on a shipment of Feynman's 'Lectures on Physics' to rekindle that "learning fire" and read from one of, in my opinion, greatest teachers and lecturers on physics! I know this is a steep hill to climb so I am hoping that by reading some of the questions and answers, I can learn more and more as each day goes on. I am glad I found a reference to this forum (in 'Teach Yourself Physics' by Schwichtenberg) to learn and ask questions and also to give input as I get my skills up to speed!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Thank you BvU. I will definitely check those out! Thanks again and thanks for the welcome!

Likes berkeman
Welcome! We're all "late learners" here.

edit: or at least learning lately.

Likes Quarkman1
Thanks DaveE ! It's good to know I am not the only one! :)