Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Gunshots heard on MIT campus

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wonder what this is about?

http://news.yahoo.com/gunshots-heard-massachusetts-institute-technology-campus-school-website-032912007.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

Evo

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    Been in contact with my professor of Physics up at Auckland University:

"I’m on the email list for emergency alerts from the University of Maryland, College Park. Not uncommon to get messages about people with guns. After all, this is the US!

Best
    Howard"

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Oh God O.O...where's a body guard when you need one

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5
  7. Apr 18, 2013 #6
    I asked Howard what was with the US and people wanting guns. His response:

8. Apr 19, 2013 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is insane. Every cop in Boston is out tonight. One MIT officer dead. Reports of another down. Police and SWAT with assault rifles all over the subways. Explosions heard in Watertown...

9. Apr 19, 2013 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

FBI is involved as well. Bomb squads...

10. Apr 19, 2013 #9
    I don't think I want to visit the US now. It seems even university campuses are unsafe. I would happily advise anyone wishing to go study in the US to -not- do so.

11. Apr 19, 2013 #10
  12. Apr 19, 2013 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ok this is seriously scary now...

13. Apr 19, 2013 #12

These things would have to happen a lot more often for it to be considered an unacceptable risk. This still pales in comparison to the Virginia Tech shooting spree.

14. Apr 19, 2013 #13
    After the movie theatre shooting, and the primary school shooting, I wouldn't advise anyone to go to -any- US school, whether it is primary, high school, or tertiary (uni or college).

I mean - to place armed guards outside every school? That is not a good look. I can seriously see why the US is getting behind in education. Who'd want to go to school to possibly be shot? Taking out a loan for that..... no thanks. It certainly, also, doesn't attract international students.

15. Apr 19, 2013 #14

Evo

I was wondering last night, and turns out that yes, the shooting was by the Boston Marathon bombers.

16. Apr 19, 2013 #15
    There's a few things wrong with what you're saying. What does a movie theater shooting have to do with a school shooting? Why stay away from schools because a guy shoots up a movie theater?
    Also, you would advise that I drop out of school here in the US? And then do what? Move to another country where there are no school shootings? 1) School shootings can happen anywhere. 2) Lots of other countries have school shootings, you just don't hear about them like you do US school shootings.
    Also, I don't think school shootings have anything to do with the US getting behind in education.

17. Apr 19, 2013 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think StevieTNZ did a true risk analysis. Trying to judge risk based on news stories will give a very skewed view on reality.

18. Apr 19, 2013 #17

Evo

Closed since this situation was part of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook