Habitable zone distances for F-M stars and tidal locking around M dwarfs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Freight_train04
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am new and would like some help. I have two questions for a shout out.

1) I need some info to help detirmine the Habitable Zone of a paticular star. I think that JF Kasting propsed some kind of equation but I can't find anymore info on it. I don't really need the equation per say just data on the breadth of the HZ and its distance from the star. I need info for all classes F to M.

2)Along the same lines. When talking about habitablilty around M class stars the subject of tidal lock comes up. Is there an equation to represent under what circumstances this could occur. (Again, I don't accually need the equation if there is a general rule of thumb or published data table.)

Thanks for your help.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Freight_train04 said:
I am new and would like some help. I have two questions for a shout out.
1) I need some info to help detirmine the Habitable Zone of a paticular star. I think that JF Kasting propsed some kind of equation but I can't find anymore info on it. I don't really need the equation per say just data on the breadth of the HZ and its distance from the star. I need info for all classes F to M.
2)Along the same lines. When talking about habitablilty around M class stars the subject of tidal lock comes up. Is there an equation to represent under what circumstances this could occur. (Again, I don't accually need the equation if there is a general rule of thumb or published data table.)
Thanks for your help.

You might want to check out Cal State's "Worldbuilder" website

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/

Some specfic links from this website (the first isn't from calstate, but is linked from the above website, and has info on both your questions)

http://www.ess.sunysb.edu/fwalter/AST101/habzone.html

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/zone.html
http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/kepler3_1.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: