Has a university degree helped you find a job?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Karlisbad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree Job University

Having an University degree is useful for finding a job??


  • Total voters
    44
  • Poll closed .
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 12K views
possible

Kurdt said:
Have you considered applying for a job abroad?

I quite have 3 spanish friends that work here in diffrent domaines...it's not that hard, as long as there is a will.:cool:
Ada http://www.nationalpeo.com/employeehandbook.htm
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mate,
I think finding a job is another skill you have to pick up while in college. Get together with a group of friends and start applying. Some of us applied to - upwards of 50+ jobs since 2nd year and got very few replies but it refined our technique with the application process. You should be applying to as many companies as you can even if they're not on par with your dream job that you had in mind. Some people will have to work their way up to what they ideally want to work as.

Also your resume and cover letter are essential to the job application so make sure its good. It's much more than just writing some facts down about yourself - get a good template off the microsoft office templates section - and look at their samples, read up guides on how to write a descent resume such as

* Purdues OWL - resume help section
* Virginia Tech's work placement section - they should have an online guide to resume writing

I believe Sinclair Knight and Mertz, an engineering consultancy firm has a great resume and cover letter prep section for their potential summer interns as well.

To be honest man its a skill that you need to pick up - frankly you don't deserve to be working at pizza hut (unless that's truly ure passion) and you should make the effort to be working somewhere where you can apply your skills. You should sit your self down one weekend and send out as many applications as you can, and walk into some careers centers in your old college and get your resume and cover letter critiqued.

Good luck with landing your first job!
 
Last edited:
It's nice to hear that other people have been having similar problems. I figured I was the only one.

In college, I had assumed I would get into graduate school, so I never worked on the job finding skills. I didn't get into grad school, and after graduation I couldn't find a job. The few positions that only required a BS Physics also required above a 3.0 GPA. I was out of luck as far as I could tell.

Instead, I've been working as the warehouse guy for a building supply company for a year now. I've also been taking a few undergrad math courses because I'm looking to do grad school in Math.

Still, I'm not even sure if that'll work out, since I didn't make many connections with professors in college. At least let this be a lesson, work hard in college, develop the skills to find a job, and network. I'll figure something out. Hah.
 
Its another course in its own - getting workplace + networking skills. You realize life lessons aren't taught in the classroom so you should be actively developing these skills in the meantime.