Has Witten announced his new geometry?

• Thread starter "pi"mp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, Witten's new geometry is a theoretical framework for studying space and time, called "twistor space," incorporating elements from traditional geometry and quantum mechanics. Its potential applications include shedding light on open questions in physics, such as gravity and quantum mechanics, and has been the subject of several published papers by Witten. While there is ongoing debate, it has garnered significant interest from the scientific community for its potential contributions to our understanding of the universe.
"pi"mp
I had vaguely read somewhere a while ago that Ed Witten was developing some sort of new geometry where the only true, fundamental objects were worldsheets. Perhaps I'm not correctly remembering the idea but I think it was something like this. Has he announced this recently? I can't seem to find anything online.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Witten's new geometry?

Witten's new geometry is a theoretical framework for studying the properties of space and time, called "twistor space," which he introduced in 2003.

2. How does Witten's new geometry differ from traditional geometry?

Witten's new geometry incorporates elements from both traditional geometry and quantum mechanics, allowing for the study of curved spaces and their interactions with particles and fields.

3. What are the potential applications of Witten's new geometry?

Witten's new geometry has the potential to shed light on many open questions in physics, such as the unification of gravity and quantum mechanics, as well as applications in cosmology and particle physics.

4. Has Witten published any papers on his new geometry?

Yes, Witten has published several papers on his new geometry, including "Perturbative gauge theory as a string theory in twistor space" and "Twistor strings and the structure of space-time."

5. Is Witten's new geometry widely accepted by the scientific community?

While there is ongoing research and debate surrounding Witten's new geometry, it has garnered significant interest and attention from the scientific community and has the potential to make significant contributions to our understanding of the universe.